icon

Need help with alarm's installation!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxlaser5 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have just finished installing the Avital 3300 Remote Starter & Alarm Combo on my brother's '91 Acura Legend. Everything seems to work fine now but I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you install the trunk trigger? Normally I would connect the trunk trigger output to the same wire that accepts the hood trigger input. But since this Combo has the Remote Starter function and if I do that, opening the trunk will shut down the engine (while on remote start mode). I am thinking about connecting it to the door trigger input. Will that work? Any disavantage to that?

2) We still have channel 4 available and my brother wants to use it to turn on/off the radio. It looks like I need a relay to convert the (-) signal to (+) and connect it to the "Switched 12V+" on the radio. Is that all or should I be aware of something else?

Thanks,

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Just disarm the alarm before opening the trunk.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
maxlaser5 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

jrilla wrote:
Just disarm the alarm before opening the trunk.

That won't work. After the car is started via remote, opening the hood will shutdown the engine. This is a safety feature. Disarm the alarm will not disable this feature.

fordfan 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
The trunk trigger is a GREEN/ black wire on the left side of the steering column it`s in a green connector and it is a (-) output.
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
well, that's very simple. You can hook the trunk pin to the hood trigger or door trigger. It doesn't matter as long as you use a diode to isolate each pin switch. The best way to do it and is to hook it to the door trigger and use a diode to isolate it. By the way, whenever button two or button three (remote starter button) is pressed the alarm will bypass the shock sensor when the alarm is arm. If you remote started the vehicle and open the trunk and it will turn off the vehicle because it doesn't matter you isolate the trunk and the hood. Hood trigger will still see a ground (negative trigger).
Good luck........
BTW, fordfan gave you the correct wire for the trunk pin.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about that. You could use the door trigger like mentioned above if you diode isolate the wires.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
maxlaser5 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

jrilla wrote:
Sorry about that. You could use the door trigger like mentioned above if you diode isolate the wires.

No problem. I will use the door trigger then.

fordfan,

thanks for the wire and location information.

10nesne1,

The "alarm part" won't turn off the engine because the alarm will be disarmed when I open the trunk. The SAFETY feature of the "remote start part" will turn off the engine if I open the hood even when the alarm is disarmed (the right way to explain it is that you should not allow the remote starter to be operable when the hood is open. Someone might be working under the hood).

I did not want to connect the trunk pin to the hood trigger and wanted to use the door trigger but my real question is if I use the door trigger, will anything funny occur.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic