icon

Subwoofer box shape?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaminator 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

Does it matter what shape your sub enclosure is in as long as it's the correct volume? For example, will a square box sound different than a rectangular box of the same internal volume? Or a triangle shape for that matter? What are the effects on sound quality, loudness, etc., if any at all? I am asking because I am going to build a sealed enclosure for a 10" sub requiring 1.0 cubic ft. of air space, and would like to shape the box to best suit my needs of utilizing trunk space. Also, when the manufacturer gives you the recommended internal volume, does that factor in the displacement of the sub itself? Or should I add the extra volume to compensate? Thanks to anybody who can help with these retarded questions. This will be the first box I have attempted to build with exact specs. All the other ones I just threw together without any attention to allowances or detail. Thanks again, sorry for the long post.

samdub 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
no the shape dont matter just make sure construction is good , factory specs do not normal include displacment some do but most dont your install/owners guide should be specific on this
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
advice for making a box for trucks. make sure you measure four or five time to make sure you are making a box that will fit perfect. if too big with too large an angle the seats sit foward, this is especially for minis
Quad L Handyman services
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, the shape of an enclosure does make a difference. Whatever you do, do not build a perfectly square enclosure. You get standing wave cancellation and will result in very poor performance. You also do not want to buile the enclosure too shallow. I believe the rule of thumb is to generally try and give at least 6 inches of clearence between the enclosure and the back of the magnet on the sub.
Most manufacturer's will give their recommended specs for both sealed and ported enclosures (not only internal volume, but also the external dimensions of the enclosure). You can use those specs as a base, and either modify them or manipulate them into your own design. And no, most manufacturers do not include the displacement of the sub in their volume requirement. Unless their specs specifically state that it is included, then you will want to add the displacement to the required volume (as well as adding the displacement of any ports or bracing that is used).
What is the make and model of your 10" sub? We might be able to get you some specific numbers...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
spl/luxy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Ketel22 wrote:
advice for making a box for trucks. make sure you measure four or five time to make sure you are making a box that will fit perfect. if too big with too large an angle the seats sit foward, this is especially for minis

mmm yes this i found out the hard way, i have a single cab hilux (tacoma) with 2 12inch s-type Alpine subs and what %$#@ it was to get them in.

and i agree that box shape does make a difference no matter what the specs are. And NEVER build a square box it just doesnt work.

Australia's Loudest Street Max 3-4 Car Ever!
samdub 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
the rumor around the square design is the most unfounded ive heard in my 13 years in the buisness so if anyone can find this in writing from a credible source please e-mail it to me  
Spaminator 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help so far guys.....the sub I'm using is a Pioneer TS-W255C and the 1.0 cubic ft. of internal volume includes the displacement of the speaker itself according to the sheet that came with it. The box I'm building is going into the trunk of a 2000 Dodge Neon, and I use that trunk to haul stuff an awful lot, so that's why space is sort of limited. I understand there will be some give and take, but I would like to build the box and still have room to haul things around, and I want to have somewhat easy access to the spare tire. So I guess I will be standing at the drawing board for quite some time scratching my head. Anybody have any suggestions? 
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2003 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

OK, this has been covered already but box shape does matter.  You never want to have a cube box because as stated above, this creates standing waves.  When designing a box try to think of it this way, you want the sound waves that have come from the back of the sub to deflect off the enclosure walls and come back to the cone at different times.  You do not want a cube box, cause then the sound waves have the same distance to travel to get to the walls and back to the sub in every direction, so they all hit the back of the cone at the same time.  Where as a long rectangular box, with the sub placed away from the center, creates much larger differences in the distance sound waves must travel to and back from to hit the cone again, so they hit the cone at different times.  This will make the sub sound better.

And I can vouch for the anti-cube enclosure theory, a book at borders talks about it.  Oh and can anyone give me more specific information on why not to have your subwoofer too close to a wall of the enclosure, cause im in the middle of a fiberglass project where the enclosure is molded into the wheel well, and the sub would be very close to hitting the bottom of the enclosure.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic