icon

Help with hinges or gears!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bolaxcustoms 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

this is hard to explain but here it goes.

I have a 98 civic and relocated the cd player to the where the cup holders are. i also kept the old factory radio where it was (still with me....good!) now i removed the backing of the factory radio and now all i have left it the front display of the factory radio.....now i want to put  a Vtec controller behind the false radio. now my question is that i am trying to find some sort of hinge or gear to make the false radio fold down. (it dosnt have to be motorized) but i have gone to may places and cant find a small enough hinge......... any help would be appreciated thanks!

mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Have you thought about trying to make pins that go into the sides of the faceplate? That would be the easiest way to make a hinge, then you would have to figure out how you want it to fold down. Best bet would be to use a servo or something similar. You might be able to find some small hinges even at a RC dealer. That is where you could find a servo too. Just some thoughts
Bolaxcustoms 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
actually thats not a bad idea but if i put pins in the sides the bottom of the face plate will hit the dash and not open so it would have to be a hinge and be at the very edge thats so far the only thing i can think of
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
You could use the pins, would just have to be in the very front edge of the face plate. Place them towards the very front and down towards the bottom as far as you can. Could work if done right. You may have to groove out the back of the panel that surrounds the face plate too. Not sure but I know should work somehow. If you haven't checked there yet, find a local Remote Control car shop and see what they have. I know that remote control planes have to have hinges on the wings, can't be too big.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
I've been thinking about doing something like that with a couple of LCD screens I have laying around. I'm working on it a little tomorrow and will let ya know if I can make something work.
Cary

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic