icon

Getting through firewall on 97 Caravan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SigiDeba 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

I have to get some wire through a firewall on a 97 Dodge Caravan to tap the battery.  I have a couple of questions.  Most of the grommet is very tough and traces up the cable bundles a good two inches so I don't think going through the grommet is an option.  I may have to drill, any advice?  Secondly, once I get the wire ran I'm going to have to tap the battery.  What guage wire should I use?  I only have 16 guage and 1 guage right now but I can pick up some 4 guage since that seems to be the preferred.  Any advice?  I have to do this tomorrow and have never done it before so I'm a little anxious...

Also, once I tap the positive terminal, can I just splice the wire three ways (inside the cabin) to have three 12 volt feeds?  I need to feed three devices... please help.

-Sigi Deba
radioactive 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
if you can't find an existing hole in your firewall just make one. i'd get the 4ga wire if preferred. with your new hole drilled i'd use a rubber like seal and stick it in securely because you don't want your power cable to short by rubbing against the fringed metal.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning"
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, here are a few answers. First, you can drill through the firewall fairly easily with a sharp bit, but a grommet and a waterproof seal is an absolute necessity. Secondly, we need to know the make, model and fuse rating on your devices. Third, you can't just splice 4ga wire. It's too big and it's not safe at all. You should use something called a distribution block. Here is a good place to get an idea of what you need, although they come in all shapes and sizes, including ones with digital readouts of voltage. Depending on the amperage of your devices, we can help you pick the right D-block for what you need.
     Again, the most important thing we need to know right now is what devices you plan on running.
Cary
SigiDeba 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Blazer

Thanks for the info.  I'm installing 1 screen, a DVD player, and an FM modulator.  I'm a newb.  I just do head unit installs usually.  How does a D-Block work and in what situations do you use it?  Is it similiar to a relay?  Does it affectively filter smaller guage cable into larger guage (ie 4ga to 16ga?)?  I'm having trouble finding specs about them on the internet.  I don't have the devices I'm installing handy so I don't have the specs but I don't any of the three need any anything fancy as far as wattage.

Theoretically, if I find a contant 12v on the back of the head unit could I just tap that at 16ga and split it off to power all three of those devices safely? 

Another question, any tips or pointers for dropping a headliner and centering a flip screen?  Sounds like a two person job, right? 

Last question, the DVD player wasn't shipped with a chassy for the power feed to the unit.  It's a four pin square input on a Absolut DVD player.  Is this standard at all or am I going to have to contact them and have them ship me one.  I really need to get it in the next couple days so it will be ready as a birthday present for her son.  The only other alternative I can think of is a 12v -> 110v power inverter and then a 12v AC block, since the unit also has a 12v power block plug for house installations.  Any ideas?  Sorry, lots going on... I appreciate any help I can get in advance.

-Sigi Deba

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic