Lots of Questions, Any Takers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SigiDeba 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Blazer

Thanks for the info.  I'm installing 1 screen, a DVD player, and an FM modulator.  I'm a newb.  I just do head unit installs usually.  How does a D-Block work and in what situations do you use it?  Is it similiar to a relay?  Does it affectively filter smaller guage cable into larger guage (ie 4ga to 16ga?)?  I'm having trouble finding specs about them on the internet.  I don't have the devices I'm installing handy so I don't have the specs but I don't any of the three need any anything fancy as far as wattage.

Theoretically, if I find a contant 12v on the back of the head unit could I just tap that at 16ga and split it off to power all three of those devices safely? 

Another question, any tips or pointers for dropping a headliner and centering a flip screen?  Sounds like a two person job, right? 

Last question, the DVD player wasn't shipped with a chassy for the power feed to the unit.  It's a four pin square input on a Absolut DVD player.  Is this standard at all or am I going to have to contact them and have them ship me one.  I really need to get it in the next couple days so it will be ready as a birthday present for her son.  The only other alternative I can think of is a 12v -> 110v power inverter and then a 12v AC block, since the unit also has a 12v power block plug for house installations.  Any ideas?  Sorry, lots going on... I appreciate any help I can get in advance.

-Sigi Deba
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'm gonna answer these as quickly as possible because I'm substitute teaching today and the kids are on their way back. I was thinking that you were going to use amplifiers instead of mobile AV sruff, so you can pretty much forget about what I said about the larger distribution blocks. You probably can just use a relay attached to the remoote turn-on lead and it will be fine. Otherwise, you can run a new circuit from the fuse panel, which is what I would do. At the top of the page on the lefthand side, you should see a topic called "relays", so click on that and go to the diagram that says "Connecting additional devices to the remote turn-on lead"
As far as dropping headliners go, it's always been job by job for me. Maybe if you let me know what the vehicle is I'll be bale to get you a little more info. It's almost always a two man job and sometimes three in larger vehicles. Centering a flip screen in just a mattering of measuring over and over again until you find the exact right point.
Unless you know someone who can mold new power harnesses for that DVD player from plastic, you'll probably need to have one shipped from the factory. Or, you can find one that will fit in the harness' slot on the device and modify the wiring hoodup to show the right combination. You could use a power inverter from the cigarette lighter but that's kind of cheating and they are expensive. Your best bet is going to be to use the 12VDC power source.
Cary
SigiDeba 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

Cary,

Haha as I managed to install the flip I realized how right you are about it being a two person job.  My arms are sore, my back hurts, and it only took 30 minutes to screw in four screws (thank God I'm tall, lanky, and have long arms) , but at least it's centered right and looks great!  Next time I do a flip I'll make sure I have some backup. 

I was considering the inverter and an AC pack but I didn't wanna spend the money.  Fortunately, the first DVD player I got was defective and the second one was already in my possesion while I still had the first.  After making the long trip to the defective unit I was able to find the power harness for the original.  The bastards shipped everything BUT the harness on the replacement.  Anyway, everything is in and working great. 

Do you or anybody who reads this know of some websites that have step by step instructions for installs that have been performed with pictures?  I really enjoyed the work today and would like to learn more.  Everytime I search for installation pics and instructions on the internet my search is either too vauge or to specific and it returns a bunch of useless garbage.

-Danny Boy

-Sigi Deba
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Danny,
     www.carstereohelp.com used to have alot of installs for many different kinds of cars with pictures and step-by-step instructions, but I haven't been there for awhile and I'm not sure if that site even is up anymore.
     As far as installs for flip-downs and visors and stuff like that, I'm not sure if there are any sites and just compile pictures and stuff like that. I know IASCA competitors are required to keep some documentation of how they did things, so if you know anyone who has done IASCA, ask them.
     My last suggestion would be to ask Jeff, otherwise known as "Velocity Motors" on the boards. He is pretty much the resident guru on these boards and knows everything I think. You might want to ask him via a PM or something where the best websites would be for that. He also had a KILLER article on his website about his install of a monitor into a headrest and it even shows how to do it step by step. Good luck, and there is alot of crap out there!
Cary

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic