the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1 relay for trunk pop and parking lights?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
not only will the diode diagram not work cause the diodes wont handle the load  they are also wired backwards. The way it is displayedit wont allow the trunk to pop or lights to blink at all.
Joe O'Byrne
Owner / Installer
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
The 6 amp diode will handle the current draw for the above diagarm.
2nd Q. Yes, one relay and two 6 amp diodes will do the job.
Good luck
PS: diagram above has 2 diodes. The diodes are hook up backward. It will stop positive and need to turn it around.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2003 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
10nesne1, are you referring to the last diagram I posted....the one for the siren chirp and the parking light flash?
Thanks!
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
10nesne1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
1 relay for trunk pop and parking lights
The first diagarm you have the diodes wired backward. If you wired it backward and it will not work because Cathode blocks Positive and allowed Negative to pass. You will need to turn the diodes around because Anode allow Positive to pass.
One for the siren chirp and the parking light flash
The second diagarm you will have to hook it the same as the first diagarm.
Remember, you turn on the parking light and the siren will sound if you don't have two diodes to isolate it. Same goes to the trunk pop circuit above. The best reliable way is to use two relay to isolate it.
Good luck
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks 10nesne1! Ok, so if decide to use 1 relay, I need to use the 6amp diodes, correct?...since the current will be so strong.    6-amp diodes like these?
But if I decide to use a relay, instead, then I don't need to use the diodes. I can just use the activation wire from the alarm or 450t to trigger both relays?
10nesne1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
That's correct. If the diode cost $2.49 each at your local Radio Shock, but most relay cost less than $3.00. I think you should use 2 relays, is it?
Good luck.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
1) I'd be curious on how hot those diodes got wth 6amps running through them (it would only be a flash so not really an issue. Just wondering)
2) I've know lighting systems to blow 10 amp fuses in humid weather. Not to mention if he goes to put a little uhaul trailer on it. (not likely but possible)
3) You would have now installed a fusable link which would handle less current then the fuse protecting the circuit. When (if) it pops it'll be under the dash and more then likely will generate heat and risk fire plus the fact that you would not be able to just pull it out and plug a new one should this happen on the road.
Last but not least you keep looking to get radio shack parts in attempt to do the install cheap but are doubling the price and introducing failure points.
This $.089 relay will work and stand up to the current load.
diode isolation should only be used on non load applications (triggers, etc..)..
Walmart sells the relay in auto department but for $2+. radioshack carries one that looks right but is in fact the wrong kind. Autozone might also carry it. I'd reccommend just going to local alarm shop and asking to buy X numbr of relays. Give them as little details as possible or they'll try and talk you into other crap and services you don't need. Print out the parts express page so they will haggle the price.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
floaterr wrote:
When (if) it pops it'll be under the dash and more then likely will generate heat and risk fire plus the fact...
AGH! Don't say fire! 1 relay for trunk pop and parking lights? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Yea, I ordered 10 relays and 10 relay harnesses from bulldog security. I think it came to $25 total, so that wasn't too bad. I guess I'll be installing two relays for the siren and light flash for the 450t, and I guess I'll do the same for the trunk and parking light aspect. (And I won't install any 6A diodes).
Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it. 1 relay for trunk pop and parking lights? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic