icon

Breakin Myth?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard from quite a lot of ppl in the electronics, audio visual industry that breaking in a sub is a load of bull. I'm not sure weather or not to believe this can anybody provide me with maybe some facts on this or just your opinion.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

Loudspeaker break-in is not a myth, although some drivers benefit from it a lot more than others.  The theory is that the moving parts like the spider and the surround can be stiff right out of the factory and will move more freely after use.  The theory is that the sound quality will improve.  Some people say that a speaker can be damaged by maximum power if ti is not broken in first, but this is really questionable and if there is any misinformation going around concerning break-in, that might be it... but it does make some sense to not "hit" a loudspeaker too hard when the surround is "stiff.

In my experience in professional sound reinforcement, in car audio, and in home theatre installations, there is truth to the rumor that allowing a break-in period for a brand new driver before using it in a critical listening situation DOES improve the sound quality.  It also, especially with mids and tweeters, does seem to increase the available SPL.  I have even heard improvements in subs, although not really that much since SQ improvements in sub-woofer frequencies is difficult to discern.  But I can tell you that subs seem to move much more freely after a break-in period, and that response time and SPL does seem to increase.

QuinnX1 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have never and will never break subs in. I have never had a problem, but no I don't just beat the heck out of them the first day either. Good luck!
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

every company has their own reccomended "breaking in" time and will tell it to you upon request for your model

Quad L Handyman services
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
breaking in subs is definitly not a myth!!! you dont have to actually BREAK THEM IN like the manual might say....just dont beat them too hard for a day or two...play them but at a moderate volume.   if you beat the hell outta them when they are brand new...the coil can get hot really fast and burn up because the sub is so stiff that the resistance gets really high.  also, pounding new subs like that can cause high resistance at the amp...which can cause it to go into protection...ive seen this done several times.   so take it easy on brand new subs for at least a day!!!
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2003 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I never "break in" subs. I pound them from the get go. ( get go is southern for from the start). I have 2 planet 15's that are 6 years old and I banged them from day one. I'm putting them in the old ladies car cause they still sound great. I have 8 MSX audio 12's in my Bronco now and slamed them from the get go too. I would not worry about it. slamin is what it's all about.
Big Dave
AudioAdrenaline 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2003 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
I've also noticed a very definite difference in sq and response in some of the installs I've done over the first day or two of operation.  I never fully judge a systems potential until it has had time to break in.  There have been times, usually with low quality equipment, that after firing it up, I was sadly disappointed, only to be completely suprised a few days later by the improvement in sq.  It's just like building a high performance engine.  You run it at a constant rpm range for a certain time to allow for proper break in.  If you don't, you could torch a bearing or throw a rod.  Just common sense.  Hows that for a scientific explanation? LOL..
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2003 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

My question is why wouldn't you break in a sub.  I mean let's see if you break it in for a day then you have done something that could possible prevent blowing, distorting your subs.  Why wouldn't you just take the time,  maybe will make a different and maybe it won't, but it's better safe then sorry. Just my 2 cents

superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2003 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Basically everytime I buy new subs all I do is run them at medium power for a couple days and then I run them however I want but in my opinion they do sound best once theyre broken in
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I personally have never noticed a difference. All the subs i have gotten so far i haven't bothered to wear in. The last one i just got a few days ago i decided to see if it does make a difference but i don't really see how you can tell if you don't hear them at there full potential at the start seeing as you will not really have a good comparison. I just thought i might treat these ones a little better. Even though i have never had a sub fail on me or anything. I'm going to go out an purchase a second sub in the coming weeks and i'll put that in and crack it for a few days and see if i can tell any difference between the 2. (Same model of course)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic