icon

2002 Dodge Ram #2 ignition wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jabpreston 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I have searched for the #2 ignition wire on my Ram and don't see a 16 guage red or RED / wht wire in the ignition harness coming from the steering column.   I have connected all wires that are close to this discription (RED / blue, RED / gray, burgundy etc.) with no luck.  Could the #2 ignition wire be another color other than red or red\wht.  My check engine light is on and I know this is the problem.  I do see a 12 guage RED / wht wire but it is constant 12+.  The truck starts just as it should but after the second start the engine light comes on and stays on until I reset the computer.   Please help me out. 
mikegl71 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

Does your blower operate properly?  You have two accessory wires in your truck.. 

They are GREEN & ORANGE and BLUE/BLACK - Be sure both are connected.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Keep looking, its there. Test that RED / white wire you found again. You sure you tested it right? I hope your not just hooking up wires without testing them. I think in 02, the 2nd ignition wire was usually red.
jabpreston 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2003 at 5:02 AM / IP Logged  
The blower is working fine along with the AC and the heater.  The trucks starts and runs just as it should.  It's the check engine light.  My Auto Command only has 1 accessory output and I have spliced it to the orange and green wires.  I didn't connect it to the other accessory wire.  I have tested the 12 guage RED / wht wire and it's 12+ at all times.  Is the second Ignition wire 16 guage?
vaderfop 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Your second ignition may not be 16 guage, the info i have on your truck just says that the ignition is 16 guage. so testthat RED / white again just to be sure.
Also for your second acc wire, did you use a relay or just split the acc wire that you had? If you just split it then you should add a relay so that each wire gets a good 12v
jabpreston 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2003 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have tested the RED / wht wire again.  It is 12+ when the key isn't in the ignition.  I didn't use a relay for the green and orange wire.  I spliced them together with my one accessory wire from my autocommand.  If I start my vehicle only once with my remote starter I don't get the check eng light.  If I start it remotely and shut it off remotely, the next time I start it remotely is when the light comes on.  I will try to relay the orange and green wires seperately.  I think my problem is the 2nd Ign wire though.  I've searched along with a friend and can't find a red or RED / wht coming from the steering column.  Except the 12g+ RED / wht wire.  Once I find it, my problems will go away.
jabpreston
mikegl71 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like the problem is the second accessory wire - Leave the GREEN/ orange wire connected to your alarm accessory output, and use a relay to connect from the GREEN/ orange to the blue/black accessory wire. This will most likely solve your problem.  Both wires need to be powered for the remote start to work properly.
jabpreston 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Well I'm stumped.  I have inserted a relay for the second acc wire.  Now the radio works when remote starting.  The check engine light is still coming on.  I need to find this 2nd ignition wire because the auto command has a second ign output.  I have tested a number of wires and just can't seem to solve it.  Do I need to disassemble the steering column to find this RED / wht wire?  I'm getting frustrated.

jabpreston
jabpreston 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

I've found the second ignition wire.  For those who have had problems with their check engine light, the dark red almost burgundy colored wire must be connected.  There are two dark red wires so you must check it with a volt meter.  It will read 12v in the on and start postions.

jabpreston
GottaBNeat 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have done lots of these trucks and with the 2002 the RED / white that's for the 2nd ignition is only if the truck has rear abs. For ignitions: blue and RED / white (the RED / white will only be present if you have rear abs), accessory:orange and green, starter: yellow. I have done countless with these wires and all is well. Hope that helps.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic