icon

is it the amp or what?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hubbabubbamac 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

hey hows it going? Alright i just hooked up my sub and everything today, everything is all hooked up correctly because i have done it before and it has worked before. I just have one problem. There are 2 lights on my amp one is red and says power, and the other is green and says protected. My red one turns on and my amp gets power, but the green light does not come on. I checked all my connections and they are all good, the ground wire is good and evrything. My sub is so unnoticably quiet. What do you think could be the problem?

Thanks

Andrew

hubbabubbamac 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
P.S. If it was my amp, how much do you think it would cost to get is repaired?
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

What are the brands and models of the amp and sub? If I read waht you wrote right, then your amp is fine. If the protected light comes on it means there is something wrong with the amp and it is running in a safe mode. If the light is not on, then it is fine and running normal. As far as why the sub is quiet, we need to know what amp and sub you have, how large and what type the box is, and what type of car it is in. How are you getting the signal to the amp? Directly from the deck, or thru a hi-low converter?

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2003 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
I love it when someone says that everything is wired correctly because they have done it before. Every installation is different. Different batteries, different routing of the wires, maybe different fuses, different remote line connection, etc...
So please don't assume that it is correct until you reverify everything that you have done, otherwise it will cause you to overlook simple solutions (if there is one!)
Bfog99 is correct, we need make and model information of your amp, subs, and headunit for a complete diagnosis. As well as how you have your subs wired to the amp, how the power wire is run, where your ground point is, what the remote wire is hooked to on the headunit, etc...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Deez_Nutz 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2003 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
no need for any of it if his levels on the deck are low or his gains and levels on the amp are low he will have low bass check all that first
hubbabubbamac 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

my deck is a JVC KD-S550, i have a 700 watt pioneer 15 inch sub and a thousand watt amp (i dont know what the name is of it) i have the remote wire from teh deck connected to my amp so that it turns on, my power wire runs from the positive post of my battery to the amp, and my ground wire is hooked up to one of the bolts that is holding the trunk and then rear brake light together. This is all done in a 95 chevrolet cavalier. My battery is kinda messed tho cause i have to keep boosting it but i get a new one today so do you thyink that that could be a problem too?

Thanks

exxxotic audio 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
  if your batt. is draining there is a prob somwhere that is causing it, a short or something somwhere. And like the others said every install is diferent even in the same car because any time the wires are moved there is a chance they could have fallen into a pinch point or rub on somthing new. my advice is go over everything from start to finish like you are reinstalling the system. every connection and make sure they are tight ,from the power all the way to the speaker terminals everything. then you know for sure that this prob can be ruled out. make sure you get a test light or multi meter for this and check everything. then once this is done you know it has to be somthing else try putting another speaker on your amp for test purposes to see if your amp is putting out sound and also make sure your deck does not have a sub controll that is turned all the way down.  try that and let me know how it goes
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

hubbabubbamac I Had my ground cord from my amp hooked to one of the screws for the lid on my trunk and it was a terrible ground. Drill a hole in your trunk, sand it, and bolt your ground to that. As for the power drain like exotic audio said, check to make sure there's no shorts in the powerwire from your battery.

waffalobill 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2003 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
On my amp the light turns green when alls o.k. and turns red when the protection is on. The power is constatly red. I agree with squirrel, don`t assume anything. Double check all of it. Even the pros mess up once in a while. Repair on amps is not a good thing. I have had work done on amps. Usually when something goes it messes with other parts of the amp. When they fixx one part and juice it, another thing down the line fries. Next thing you know, your paying the buy price to have it fixxed.
I think I see Light!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic