icon

1985 chevy caprice Stereo wiring diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dubba_dibz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 1985 chevy caprice classic and was just wondering if neone knew where i could get a wiring diagram, or wtvr, tellin me which wires are which cuz im tryin to install a new cd player in it and dont feel like goin and buyin a harness haha...
Thanks
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Dubba_dibz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
ok so i have the diagram for both the cd player, and the factory stereo wiring diagram, only one problem, the diagram for the car must not be right or something, cuz the wires dont match up to the colors on the diagram....like instead of a brown in one place, theres a gray...i found the ground and everything, and i think i blew a fuse or something cuz now i have no interior lights haha, but a little help? maybe somewhere i could go that might help me out a little?
Thanks
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2003 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well, at least now you know why you should have bought a harness. A harness at Wal-Mart hardly costs much more than a package of fuses.
tommytunesfx 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2003 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

there should be 4 plugs (1) black plug those are your powers 1) yellow igntion power 2)gray lights, 3) black ground, the white plug 1) light green = front right +dark green = front right -, 2) tan=left front + gray= left front -

blue plug 1) dark blue = right rear + light blue = right rear - , 2)brown = left rear + yellow = left rear -

constant power or memory you can tap into the orange wire on the lighter.

tommy, sound fx of fort myers,fl.

akimball442 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think you are nuts.  I have a 1984 Olds Delta 88 (same platform). You may only have 3 plugs, white, blue and black.  You dont have the orange or brown wire unless that car came with a more up - level radio.  You need to put them in. The fuse you blew is a 5 amp fuse which the grey wire you mentioned is hooked to.  Heres what you have to do.  Get your constant power from the cigarette lighter. Theres an orange wire on there. Thats your memory or constant hot wire.  The yellow one is for your switched igniton power, Thats on the black plug. What sucks is that GM used a yellow wire for the antenna on some of the cars, so if it doesnt work, you may have mixed them up. If your car doesnt have a power antenna, dont worry about it.  The ground is straight forward. The grey wire is for the interior lights dimming. It lowers in voltage as you turn down the brightness. The brown wire may be taken from the light switch. GM cars used two wires for the interior lights. That is becuase they have an overly complicated flourecent display on the factory radios. There is a brown wire on your light switch. If you need it, go ahead and hook into it. IF you do NOT need for your radio to dim when you turn the headlights on, or if it isnt capable of dimming (no wires on the radio for dimming) ignore the brown and grey wires. the speakers are straight forward.   Good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic