icon

early model grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bugluvr38 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  
i need some help.  i am at my wits end trying to figure out the locks on my 93 grand cherokee.  i have blown about sixty-three thousand fuses now.  what relay configuration should i be using?  the alarm i have is a crime stopper cs2000 series II (cheap, i know).  the door lock outputs are (-), so i am using two relays, one to lock and one to unlock.  part of the problem is that  there was a prestige keyless entry system (recently went tits-up) installed at the dealership when the jeep was first purchased new and it was not a very clean install.  the whole relay center (under the glove box) was a mess, with wires spliced everywhere and speaker wire for a ground lead.  i have straightened it up the best i can, but it is not helping my situation.  one question i have is this: there are ORANGE / purple and pink/purple wires going from the (factory) relays to the motors and pink/black and BLACK/ white wires going to the switches.  from what i understand, i should be adding the relays somewhere on the motor end of the circuit, but it looks like the installer before me completely bypassed the factory relays.  is this what i should be doing?  or should i add them in addition to the factory ones?  and if i should keep the factory relays in use, could someone help me piece the wiring back together?  any help that anyone has would be very much appreciated.  please ask if you need any more details.  thank you.
oh, god... what did i do now??
bugluvr38 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
well, i figured out the door lock problems and got the install nightmare of the previous alarm taken care of.  now im ready for more!  i was looking for some recommendations.  i know a lot of you guys are pros, so i just thought id go opinion-fishin'.  im looking for an add-on remote start module (i dont want to build one) that i can add to a crime stopper cs2000 series II.  the vehicle is a 93 grand cherokee.  i would also like to add a window roll-up module, preferably a four window one.  also, im having a hard time with the illuninated entry feature.  i hooked it all up right, but it just does nothing.  any suggestions/advice??  i appreciate it! 
mazdatruckin 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Ok well do this. Your car had factory power locks, splice those wires back together with the switch. Now your car should lock from the door switches. If that works, good :) As far as i know, try to pull the keyless system out and see what wires are left.

Your car uses a (+) trigger to operate the power door locks. The alarm you said has (-) outputs only. You should NOT Have to cut the door wire. Lock is (ORANGE / PURPLE) and unlock is (PINK/PURPLE). Wire 2 relays like this, this way you turn your (-) alarm pulse to a (+) for your application

Relay # 1 LOCK

85 to +12V, 86 to lock output from alarm, 87 to +12V, and 30 to ORANGE / PURPLE

Relay #2 UNLOCK

Same setup, just 30 goes to PINK/PURPLE

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
yeah for the ORANGE / purple and pink/purple wires, leave them connected and use a T-tap into them.  just one thing, they may acutally require a negative pulse.   i know everywhere says positive, but i have a 97 jeep with the same lock system that supposedly was positive pulse and it needs negative.  so if it doesnt work the way mazdatruckin said, then ground 87 instead.
mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
It should work, hey italianpimp? Are you talking about a regualr Cherokke? Those had (-) triggers... as long as i remember, grand cherrokes were (+) up until 96 or 97 when they went to 5 wire systems.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
ooohhhh ok i didnt know that, but yeah its a cherokee....but the sheet i looked on, actually a few of them i looked on say its positive 3wire system.  its really negative.   the new 5wire systems that u were talking about....are they reverse polarity systems?  just curious in the event i get one of them in the shop for an alarm.
mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

yea Just remember 1996 that's when it changed. Grand Cherokee went from (+) to 5 wire reverse polarity. And after 1996 Cherokee went from (+) to (-). That's how i remembered it. Grand's ARE 5 wire reverse polarity, Actually the 5 wires are a bitch because you have to goto both doors for locks. Here's the notes for most 96 and up 5 wire cherokees

Use ORANGE / purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock.   Use BLACK/ white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors.  It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.

mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

but as a easier way to do this :) Use DEI 455t. The jeep interface module. Saves lots of time. Info below... Much easier solution. Oh and for reg cherokee's, it needs a high current ground, must use relays.

455T Jeep Databus interface module. Quick and easy power door lock interface and upgrade in the '96- '98 Jeep Grand Cherokees. simple two-wire connection into the vehicle's underdash databus allows aftermarket systems to control the factory arm/disarm, domelight supervision, door locking, drivers door unlocking/all door unlocking and more!

mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

If you want to stick with crimestopper and have an aux output from the alarm, go for the RS-901 add-on... very easy to wire up. Cheers to you for teh door locks, those must of been a bitch. Illumuniated entry is easy. If you're using a yellow wire for door trigger..

Is your relay like this?   I'm assuming teh domelight output from your alarm is (-)... 85 to (-) out from alarm, 86 and 87 to +12V Constant, and 30 back to the door trigger wire. This will pulse the wire and make the car think the door is open thus turning on the dome light... Good luck to you!

bugluvr38 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, i think i will stick with crimestopper.  i thought it was just cheap (i paid 50 bucks plus a couple relays) but i am pretty satisfied with it so far.  ill check into the rs-901.  about how much do they run?  as far as the illuminated entry, i think i know what i did wrong.  ill check it out tomorrow, if the rain lets up a little.  thanks for the advice, and the recommendation!  as always, i appreciate it!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic