icon

Momentary to const question: for defrost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I got to the switch, and I'll be testing the wires tonight when I get home from work. Yea, that statement for #6 is confusing to me too. It says "continuity", but doesn't say what it's continuous with. I'm not sure if it gets ground or +12v. Again, I'll be testing the wires later on, but my only problem is that after I test them, I'll still be stuck Momentary to const question:  for defrost - Page 2 -- posted image.
Ok, here are the 3 sheets that Toyota sent me, and it's where I got the information for the previous post. Hopefully this will help somewhat...I'm not a schematic expert :-)
Page 01
Page 02
Page 03
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
For some reason, the pictures aren't linking correctly. you can copy and paste the link, and they should work.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

damn... it looks like they built the whole circuit into the switch... bummer, is the switch a large unit? possible to take apart at all? if you break it is it costly to replace?

the diagram is pretty bad quality (first one) any way i can get a better quality version?

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I can try rescanning it, but I don't think it's going to come out much better. The one the guy sent me wasn't too good to begin with.
Well, there's a pushbutton for the defogger, and behind it is a decent-sized black box, so I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff built into it.
But the more I think about this (in theory), even if I figure out which wires to give continuity to in order to make the defogger work, won't I still need to give it a constant pulse to keep the relay energized? The alarm doesn't have a constant pulse, only momentary. If I'm going to have to wire up all of these relays and stuff, maybe this isn't worth it.
What do you think??
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

well by looking at that schematic my assumption is that it uses some sort of monostable timer (looks 555 based to me), the button itself does not keep the relay energized, the timer does, and the button triggers the timer, my idea was that the momentary could be used to trigger the timer, just like pressing the button (you dont hold the button down the whole time it is on..)

All is not lost if you can get to the switch terminals, although i think that would be the best way. You could build a similar circuit and use it independent of the original...

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the quick reply.....I'm at home on a modem (slow as crap). That would be awesome if I could just give it a momentary pulse to mimic pushing the button, and giving 2 wires continuity. But I'm still not sure which wires are the correct ones to give it to.
Anywho, I did a preliminary check of the wires at the actual switch...and I used a (I know, I know) test light. I'll go try the multimeter right after I post this. Here's my findings so far (assuming the test light was showing 12v+ and ground):
WITH THE IGNITION ON AND THE SWITCH OFF:
Position #1: GREEN: (-)
Position #2: RED / BLUE: (+)
Position #3: WHITE/ BLACK: (-)
Position #4: WHITE/ GREEN: (-)
Position #5: EMPTY
Position #6: YELLOW /GREEN: (+)
WITH THE IGNITION ON AND THE SWITCH ON:
Position #1: GREEN: (-)
Position #2: RED / BLUE: (+)
Position #3: WHITE/ BLACK: (-)
Position #4: WHITE/ GREEN: (-)
Position #5: EMPTY
Position #6: YELLOW /GREEN: (-)
WITH THE IGNITION OFF AND THE SWITCH OFF:
Every position showed ground
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help xetmes, but I gave up finally. Someone else told me that I may have to open the switch, and solder 2 wires to the board in there. That's when I had enough. I realized I was killing myself over something that they probably wouldn't use enough to warrant this much investigation. I hooked up her horn instead :-) Thanks again.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic