icon

Tach wire for 97 Toyota T100

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dangtong3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

I need help to locate and identify the tach wire on the 97 Toyota T100 V6 3.4L engine.  I greatly appreciate any help. This has been driving me crazy in the last 2 days. I did extensive searches but couldn't find the answer for my case in the forums on the internet. This is a little complicated. So please bear with me.

OK, I compared diagrams from difference sources. They all say it's the BLACK wire at the igniter or it's the WHITE/ GRAY at coil. But I couldn't locate the igniter, so I tabed into one the UNCOMMON WHITE/ GRAY wire on the first coils (the comon wires are BLACK/ RED). I tested with continuity to make sure the connection is good.  But when I started the engine and probe it with the meter, it gave me 14V for the first time and couldn't get any reading for the second time.  This is very weird to me. Everything is working perfectly on this vehicle. I even scanned the computer for error codes, but didn't get any error reported.  I assummed the electrical system is working perfectly. But.....

I also tested other suspected wires around but unable to locate the tachwire on this vehicle.  I know I could try the injection wires. Butt on this vehicle it is hard to get to and had lot of things blocking around. The ECM is the last thing I want to touch. 

I greatly appreciate any help from you to identify and locate this Tach wire. Does any body know where the igniter is and what it looks like. ? Any other place that easy to get to the tach wire. PLEASE HELP. Sorry for a lengthy post, but I think this is the only way I can describe the problem.

THANKS 

radiostation 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Re: Toyota Tach- isn't there a diagnostic connector somewhere under the hood ? It's usually a blach at that plug. Your connection at the coil should work OK too- have you tried to get the unit to program ? It sounds like your meter was on VAC when you got the strange readings- you need to be on VAC. Just a couple of mistakes I've made in the past..... Steve
radiostation 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Re: Toyota Tach- isn't there a diagnostic connector somewhere under the hood ? It's usually a black at that plug. Your connection at the coil should work OK too- have you tried to get the unit to program ? It sounds like your meter was on VAC when you got the strange readings- you need to be on VAC. Just a couple of mistakes I've made in the past..... Steve
GottaBNeat 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

OK I have a dei tech sheet and it says its in the connector on the passenger side by the fuse box. Hope this helps Here it is: 1997 toyota t100

|       ITEM      |     WIRE COLOR     |POL|       WIRE LOCATION        |

|              12V|white - WHITE/ red   |+  |ignition harness            |
|          STARTER|black               |+  |ignition harness            |
|         IGNITION|BLACK / YELLOW        |+  |ignition harness            |
|  SECOND IGNITION|BLACK/ red           |+  |ignition harness            |
|        ACCESSORY|blue/red            |+  |ignition harness            |
|       POWER LOCK|RED / wht or blu/wht  |-  |low in driver kick panel *2 |
|     POWER UNLOCK|RED / yellow          |-  |low in driver kick panel *2 |
| PARKING LIGHTS +|green               |   |at fusebox                  |
| PARKING LIGHTS -|RED / black           |   |steering column             |
|       HEADLIGHTS|RED / white           |-  |steering column             |
|     DOOR TRIGGER|BLACK/ white         |-  |wht plug in fusebox         |
|       TACHOMETER|black               |   |igniter, check conn *1      |
|      SPEED SENSE|green               |4  |ECM behind glove box        |
|       BRAKE WIRE|GREEN / WHITE         |+  |drivers kick panel          |
|     HORN TRIGGER|GREEN/ red           |-  |steering column             |
|           WIPERS|blu/blk, yel/blk *3 |+  |steering column             |
|  LF WINDOW UP/DN|blu/yel - blu/grn   |A  |in drivers door             |
|  RF WINDOW UP/DN|RED / blk - RED / grn   |A  |in drivers door             |

Notes:

*1 The check connector is located on the front passenger inner fender well next to the underhood fuse box.  *2 Lock relays located in drivers kick panel. Test with doors closed, or both pin switches held in.  *3 Catch both wires and diode isolate.

dangtong3 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

radiostation wrote:
Re: Toyota Tach- isn't there a diagnostic connector somewhere under the hood ? It's usually a black at that plug. Your connection at the coil should work OK too- have you tried to get the unit to program ? It sounds like your meter was on VAC when you got the strange readings- you need to be on VAC. Just a couple of mistakes I've made in the past..... Steve

There is no black wire at the diagnostic connector under the hood. There are several wires. I will test one by one if I have no choice.

Thanks for the info.

Any other hints? PLEAZZZZ.

dangtong3 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
GottaBNeat wrote:

OK I have a dei tech sheet and it says its in the connector on the passenger side by the fuse box. Hope this helps Here it is: 1997 toyota t100

I also had this DEI sheet, their is no fuse box on passanger side. The Fuse box is on driver side. And there is no connector near the fuse box.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic