icon

82 monte carlo stereo wiring problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
romanempire 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a new stereo but i have the following problem. The only way to get my system to work is to hook up the red and yellow(memory) wires from the stereo to the red wire on the harness. The only problem is that when I turn off the radio and then turn it back on the memory is lost to the radio. I have tried different combo's of the wiring but this is the only way I can get it to work but still no memory recollection. What am I doing wrong in my wiring???
PS the lines from the car plug are as follows: black,
   yellow and grey
Thanks for any help!
harvey
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
You have hooked your red and yellow wires to a +12v ignition line. It will work but no memory. Move the yellow wire to a line that has +12v in it without the key in the ignition and +12v in it regardless of key position. If this wire is not present in your harness, first look at the fuse panel for blown fuses and / or second run a new line for +12v constant power for your yellow line. Hope this solves it for ya. The store's a little slow here in the great white north today so I might as well help out people like you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
QuinnX1 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
82 Monte huh? I have a 81 Regal. Gotta love GM g-body. To solve your problem tap into the orange wire behind the cigg. lighter. Good luck.
Covenant Riders CC of WI.
romanempire 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips guys. I do have another question tho.
If the orange wire behind the cig lighter does not do the trick then what other wire supplies constant power. I will not be able to work on the car for a few days so I'd like to have as many options as possible.
Once again thanks for any tips!!!
harvey
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Look for a constant power wire clip in the fuse box, some gm vehicles in those years had spares. If that fails, one can definitely be found under the steering column coming from the ignition cyclinder.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
your constant is orange and your accessory is yellow.   if you cant find one of these to show 12v when needed, then you may have a blown fuse.
romanempire 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
Just want to thank those who helped me with my stereo setup. The radio works fine!!! The information was very helpful although I do have one more question. I hooked up my 12v memory wire(yellow) directly to the orange wire from my cig lighter. And my 12v red wire is hooked up to the red wire on the universal harness. The question is: I can turn my radio on without using the ignition key, is this normal?
Did I hookup some wires incorrectly?
Thanks for more help!!!
harvey
forbidden 
Posted: November 08, 2003 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
It looks as though your red ignition lead from your new radio is hooked up to a constant power wire. It will not affect the operation of anything other thatn a possible drain on your battery if you forget to turn it off. Does the cig lighter work and if so does the cig lighter work with the keys out of the ignition or do the keys have to be in and turned to ignition on.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic