the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what is this 14.4v input ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
No offence to Mr. Freaky up there, but it seems that one of us is getting our "specs" messed up. The MTX 801D amp is a very good amp, it is measured output at 12.5volts (yeah) but the continuous power rating as taken from the MTX website is 250w x1 at 4ohm and 500w x 1 at 2ohm. It's Dynamic rating (another fancy word for peak) is 400w x1 at 4ohm and 800w x1 at 2ohm. Yes the battery may well put out a higher voltage depending on a number of conditions like this: battery is new, alternator is good, supply to battery is good, drain from vehicle electronics is not excessive. When you add a high power stereo to a vehicle that had it's electical system designed for the vehicle and not  the vehicle + a high power stereo system, one thing that suffers is current and voltage. This is a couple of reasons as to why so many people add high output alternators, caps, second batteries etc. They want to be able to maximize the capabilities of their system. Now like most American built or designed amplifiers they usually put out a little more than the spec sheet says, this is a good thing. If you have info that contradicts the MTX website info then that is great, post it up so we can all see it, the next time we need to recommend a product like MTX to someone we have a little more ammo to give that person.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bassam_zaman 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

hey freakey and forbidden, thanks for your replies, um freaky forbidden is correct with the specs he gave. But forbidden, its says that the amp will run 800x1 at 2 ohm at 14.4, i dont think that means peak power, i.e say the amp gain is at half way with the car off, it gives you 200 watts or watever, if the car is on, it will give you 400 rite? Plz explain this further , because the specs say the amp will do 500 watts x1 at 2 ohm when input is 12.5V, when input is 14.4 V, the amp will do 800watts x1 at 2 ohm.

bigjerman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Wanted to know if u dont get 14.4 from your electrcial system, is there anyway to up that without a new battery or higher power altenator. And uping  the volatge in the rca line do anything like using a line driver?

1998 Volvo S70 T5 - It's Swedish isn't that weird?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

In order for the amplifier to maintain a continous power output a number of things need to happen, things like a constant supply of power at 14.4v, not dipping down to 10 (your headlightts are on, air conditioning on etc), a good solid ground, no excessive heat buildup on the amplifier - an amp is designed to get warm, but at some point in time all that heat buildup is from driving the amp really hard. Some amplifiers have a thermal switch in them that when activated, roll back or govern the amount of power going out to the speakers, I am not sure if this amp is one of them. Now let's hope that your vehicle delivers more than 12 volts, the amp will definitely give you more power. I did not dive right on into the MTX website, but from what I did see some of you may be reading what the manufacturer wants you to read. The DYNAMIC power rating is 800 watts at 2 ohm at 14.4volts, The RMS power rating is 500 watts at 2 ohm at 12.5 volts. "Dynamic" can be viewed as peak, some manufacturers even claim an even higher "Thermal" power rating in watts. Dynamic and Peak are (basically for the sake of arguement) one of the same, it is what the amplifier can produce for a brief instant in time, not what the amplifier was designed and engineered to do on a continual basis. Keep your gain control turned down, this is what it was designed to do, if you turn it up sure you get more power, however the tradeoff you get is increased noise floor and mainly the prime way to destroy your speaker by clipping the amplifier, the sub won't distort on it's own, it only reproduces what it is given, if you clip your amp causing it to distort, Mr. Subwoofer is going to do his job until one day you need a new sub. As I stated before this is a great amplifier, I would still look for a bigger one, the worst thing in the world you can do to a sub is underpower it, especially if you are the type that plays your tunz loud and long.

I would add a capacitor to the system right away, as well a good line driver from Audio Control or a high voltage Eclipse cd player (CD 8443). See what people have to say before you make your decisions.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic