icon

Rockford Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey there everyone. I am trying to find out some info on an amp that I am getting ready to install. It is a Rockford Punch amp and it has the model # x360.2 I would like to know what impedance level this is stable to and what kind of power it puts out. I am installing it for a friend and she has a single Rockford RFP4212 which I know is the dual 4 ohm VC 12. I would just like some more info on the amp. Any help would be great.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Here is the product manual http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2001/3_Amplifiers/MAN3216A_Punch2Ch_MAN.pdf
The specs are 450X1 @ 4ohm, 160 X 2 @ 2 Ohm, 100X2 @ 4 ohms
Unfortunately you have a 4 ohm DVC so your only wiring options are 2 or 8 ohms bridged

The only thing you can do is wire each voice coil in parallel to its own channel for 100 X 2 @ 4ohms
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=11460   here is the amp info i found.

it doesn't say specifically, but most 2 channel amps are designed to run 4 ohms bridged.  Your best bet with this amp is to wire the sub for a 2 ohm load and hook it up to 1 channel. If i were you, or your friend more specifically, I would look for another amp that is better suited for your purpose.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
bfog99 wrote:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=11460   here is the amp info i found.

it doesn't say specifically, but most 2 channel amps are designed to run 4 ohms bridged.  Your best bet with this amp is to wire the sub for a 2 ohm load and hook it up to 1 channel. If i were you, or your friend more specifically, I would look for another amp that is better suited for your purpose.

Bfog99 you will get more power wiring each coil to its own channel, as opposed to bridging it in parallel for a 2 ohm load on one of the 2 channels.

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
If I wire the sub to each channel of the amp, do I take a chance at ruining the sub at all? I have heard not to do that with dual vc subs. If it is ok then I can, just don't care to ruin the sub for her. Don't really want to ruin the amp either so just some thoughts would be nice.
Thanks for the link to the owners manual bberman1. I was trying to find it on RF's website and couldn't locate it.
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1, I know it can be done with 1 coil per channel, but I though it wasn't recommended that way.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
You will not do any harm, you can run the coils of a DVC sub on different channels as long as they are getting the same signal. However I would not suggest you wire each coil to 2 separate amps getting the same signal, the out put will never be the same.
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
So how will it not damage the sub when one coil is wired to the left channel and one is wired to the right? There are times when they will not be getting the same signal, and I would think that would damage it. I know that 2 subs would be better with this amp and I am trying to convice her as well. Just don't want to mess up what we have to work with right now.
Thanks again for all the help
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
even though they may not recive the same exact signal, both channels will still be "in phase". as long as the left and right signals don't "fight" each other, you won't damage your sub. If you are still concerned you can use splitters to assure your amp recives a mono signal. But I agree with bberman1 that a second amp would rock!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic