the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bulb-out feature with relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

Dear guys, please an help. I'm planning to install gauge10 cable size and relays for high and low beam. Mine is a Mercedes 1998 C Class (W202 series). Please how can I avoid "bulb-out" lamp in the dash? I'd like to keep this feature for rear bulb, so avoiding to take out the bulb from the dash.

Please any chance to solve the matter?

Thanks a lot for any input

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
i don't see how you're going to do this with simple relays, unless maybe you do something like tie a relay in series with a 6 volt bulb..... bulb blows, relay won't turn on, which would leave the relay in the NO position for the power to go thru (and light a bulb on your instrument panel).  even then, you'd have to work it so that the relay's coil pulls the same resistance as the bulb in the "on" state (bulbs have a consideribly higher resistance when lit than when off).   the way you are most likely going to have to do it is to either find or build yourself a current sensing circuit for each bulb you want an indicator on (for the regular tail lights, not brakes or turn signals, you could build one current sensing circuit that would  detect when less current is being drawn than usual when any one of the regular tail lights are out).  it should be much simpler though if you build a circuit for each and every bulb independant from every other one - that way it can be a "go /no go" scenerio.... any current draw = good bulb, zero current draw = bulb blown = open circuit.   if you still need it, later i might toss together a couple of op amps in a few examples for some simple bulb out current sensing circuits if nobody else does.
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks a lot superchukles,

I've appreciated your help.

Hi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic