icon

popping noise from audiobahn sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rfkicker1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
The cone feels fine, however cant really feel it to well since its inverted. I have it wired in parrallel. Its a dvc 4 ohm audiobahn sub. Its running 2ohm mono right now into the bd1000 amp which will make the amp run 1000 watts rms, 2000 max. I know this is more than the sub can handle since its rated at 700 watts rms 1400 max. I keep the gain at safe levels. Ive tried it from barely up to almost all the way up. When i have the gain that high up i ease the volume up gently when i do that so i dont melt the voice coils lol. I have a slow charger that charges it, however this type of battery is made to go a long time before it needs charging. On the amperage thing now thats a big possibility that i never thought about. I do know the signal coming from the receiver is clean because I have another amp i use for sound speakers and they come out perfectly clean. I would use this amp for testing on the sub however its not nearly powerful enough. the most wattage i can get out of it is bridging it in 4 ohm mono which is only 280 watts rms. and also if you wondering why i havent did it at low volumes with this amp however one minor problem , the subwoofer is a 4ohm dvc which means each voice coil is 4 ohms, since i only have one of them kind of hard to get a 4 ohm mono load unless i build some device to do it which i really have never did nor do i know how to lol.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
its inverted eh,,,,humm.....did you reverse the polarity on the wires??  when you invert a speaker, what noramlly would be the + terminal, becomes a - , so be sure to reverse your wires.  It sounds like that is all the problem is, because subs do make that sound when they are inverted and they arent wired properly.
hightower 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

just run 4 gauge wire and if it is an ampreage problem that will take care of it....doesn't matter what kind of battery you have if your only flowing the amount of electrons through the wire.  the more copper in the wire the more electrons, more electrons more amps getting to the amplifier.  thats why they make different size wire.  when you amp runs out of power to turn into watts it makes a distort signal like what you're hearing.  run 4 gauge 

Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok lots of ideas but no solutions. First its got nothing to do with the fact that it might be inverter as alpine guy suggests. as long as the coils of the sub are in phase the phase at the amp is not relevant. increasing the gauge of the power wire although it is true that amp wants a minimum of 4 gauge is also not the problem . it is going to be one of 3 things . 1 the sub is damaged. 2. The battery is not providing enough current and is causing your amp to clip very even at lower volumes. (this is likely the case) or 3. your bax is too big. you said you were going to try a bigger box? do not... as the box gets bigger the power handling goes down as the box exerts less controll on the excurtion of the sub. try a smaller box. That amp you have is a sub killer . it  has huge current draw so i am not surprised that your sub is popping the way you are testing it.
Steve@A.E.S
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Stevolon, it seems hea has drawn the same conclusions as me.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Rfkicker1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
well i said nothign about trying a bigger box i just used 2 boxes i had laying around. I was doing that to see if one of them had any leaks in it. Also i know about using the cbft size for subs and i know what they are to. for this sub for sealed boxes it is .7-1.4 cubic feet. for ported it is 1.4cbft. anyways i think the sub is partially blown but first chance i get im going to try it on differnet subs. that will let me know for a fact weither its the amp or sub. I do appreciate everyones help and advice , and i am 99 percent sure the sub is about fubar as i like to say. but when i find out ill post it on here but like i said i believe its the sub. anyways once again thanks for all the suggestions and help.
bigjerman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of audiobahn sub is it?
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - It's Swedish isn't that weird?
Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Rfkicker1, dude you wrote

It does the popping at low levels but u can barely tell. also ive tried 2 differnet boxes one was 1.5 cbft the other 2.5cbft. both are sealed. and ill try bigger wire dont know if it will work but i will give it a try.

so if these are the boxes you tried they are both tooooo big. the smaller you go towards the .7 cube the more of that bd1000 it will take without bottoming out. trust me put it in 1 cuFt and i bet it dont pop. Those specs dont seem correct either on the sealed box volumes the range is quite big for a sub.

Steve@A.E.S
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic