icon

RS for Trailblazer & Silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AMDBJohnston 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

I have an 03 silverado which has the memory seats and all that stuff.  I don't want to lose this feature by using an aftermarket system so my question is: Can I install a remote start system on these cars which uses the factory remote fob?  If so, what do I need to get started?  Sorry if this is a remedial question but I have a baby on the way and wanted to install this myself because I have read a couple of posts and it seems like something that I can handle.

Thanks in advance!!!

vaderfop 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
It is possible to hook up a aftermarket RS system to a vechile with memory seats. (I am assuming that your seat moves with the fob?) As far as I know you can only have your aftermarket transmitters move hte seat to one of the positions, not both of them (or the 3 of them which ever it is.) It does take a little bit of testing, a relay and a little extra wire.
You do not have to hook up the memory seats for everything else to work though, only if you really want them.
Also in the vechile, you will need a bypass for your passlock 2. You can use DEI part number 555L for this.
Hope this answers your question.
Remember check all your wires with a DMM!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
You can use a relay activated by the unlock of your remote starter to trigger either one of the wires inside your door that control your memory seats. Just pulse the red wire off the memory seat switch to 12 volts for driver # 1 and the pink for driver # 2.
sparky
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I suggest getting a system with aftermarket remotes. An aftermarket system can easily control memory position 1. Get a 456G from DEI. It will control lock, unlock, arm, disarm, and memory setting 1. Memory settings 2 can't be controlled with it though.
If you want to switch to memory setting 2, is it that hard to hit the "2" button on the door as you get in the truck?
Have you tested the range of the factory remotes? If you use them to control an aftermarket system you will be limited to the poor range of the factory remotes. Install will also be more difficult.
AMDBJohnston 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

RS for Trailblazer & Silverado -- posted image.  I like the idea you had Sparkie as it sounds to be pretty easy and is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.  Although I must admit I really don't follow everything you said.RS for Trailblazer & Silverado -- posted image.  Could you elaborate as if you were talking to a fifth grader?  Like I said I'm new to this and haven't caught up on the "lingo."

Thanx in advance!!!

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
What sparkie said doesn't really accomplish what you want, and it really won't work anyway. No matter what remote you use, when you hit unlock it will always pulse the same memory setting. Not to mention, doing doorlocks on the 2003+ GM trucks is really difficult and time consuming unless you use the module I listed (456G). Using the module will automatically put you in memory setting 1. There is no easy way to do what you want (still retain memory settings 1 and 2 by remote). And if this is your first remote starter install, good luck. You have a tricky vehicle for beginners. Get it professionally done before you screw up your truck.
Check out www.bypasskit.com
Look at the PLDATA and GMDL4 modules
Comparable modules by DEI are 555L and 456G
Your truck needs those parts.
AMDBJohnston 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  

That's probably what I needed to hear. 

So your saying that I will probably have to buy a system and use the remotes that come with it?  As long as I can keep the memory settings because my wife likes the seat way up and I love not having to adjust it before I get in.  How much does an install like this cost?  And where would be the best place to go, Best Buy or a local stereo shop?  As for the models listed above, are they relatively easy to install and setup?

I really appreciate your help and patience with me!!

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
The method I suggested does work. If you haven't done remote starter's before you're probably right in not attempting this. The module GMDL 4 rarely works when trying to do driver presets unless the installer knows a few tricks. Good luck and tell the installer what you want and let him decide ho he's going to do it.
sparky
AMDBJohnston 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to go to a local stereo shop and see if they can't do something like this.  I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this and really don't need a lot of fancy features.  I just want remote start and my remote features to work as they do now.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanx a mil for all the help and advice!!!

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a better solution. Assuming your GM keyless is like most other GM keyless systems, and works with the engine running, you can get a system that will run off of the factory remote. I know Bulldog makes one like that, where you push the lock button 3 times and the vehicle remote starts; also, DEI makes the Rattler369D which can do the same thing. Bulldog's models only take a negative input so you would have to use a relay; DEI's takes negative and positive inputs. I've done a bunch of remote starts like that.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic