the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Start 03 Grand Am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AlanJE 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

I am thinking about installing a Valet 554R remote start keyless system.  I have always prior to this GA installed all my own equipment.  After I got the car in Aug I went to the local install shop to pick up a Pioneer AVHP-6500DVD, they told me that I should not install it myself, for risk ok blowing the air bags.... since I dont have a few grand laying around to re-pack the bags, I let them install it.........do I run the same risk when putting in a remote start? Is this just a mith? or can I get around this problem by simply pulling the air bag fuse till install is done, and how do I know everything is ok and I can put the fuse back in?

Any information would be helpfull always willing to learn

Thanxs

Alan

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

chances are they were just warning you of RDS problems.  i havent seen any of heard of many airbags blowing.  when i do an RDS i unhook the neg battery terminal and do the whole install with the RDS radio relocation kit.  i run the cables to the trunk and usually mount the factory radio behind the trunk liner on the passenger side.  once the radio is back there i back strap it in place and cover the edges that touch the body with dynomat or a similar item.  then i plug the relocarion harness in and re connect the battery, then turn on the ignition and set the aftermarket radio clock and stations.

you should be able to to a remote start with out any problems you wouldnt find in any other car.  RDS should effect the ignition system.  however, i know from a newer monte carlo i did that the parking lights/head light hookup can be a little ackward.  when i finished the monte they flashed in a random pattern and the head lights would flash when it got the signal then turn off  on crank, then come on for 5sec and turn off and the parking lights would stay on.  beats me.  the install was an avital 4200.  it worked fine, just not typical.

AlanJE 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

Thank  you sroth140

Ok I am a little more confident about attempting this remote start now that I know there is little chance of blowing the bags.  forgive my ignorance but what is an RDS (Radio Data System)?

I have been looking at a Crimestopper PLDATA-II to bypass the Passlock II system....from what I can pick up this is the best system to use since you only need to tap one wire at the OBD...and I am assuming the 554R will connect to the PLDATA module are these 2 systems compatable? This is the PLDATA module I am looking at http://www.electricboutique.com/index.asp?U=DASpldata does this mean I leave, the yellow, and the black wire comming from the key cylinder alone?  I have read about GM anti-theft adapters, http://www.electricboutique.com/index.asp?U=DASrsgmataii do these interface with the factory keyless system and make it easier to install and aftermarket security system?

thanxs

Alan

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

its road data system, its class 2 wiring.  the radio and car "talk" to each other, it just makes the stock radio more a part of the car, indicated by the gold RDS letters stamped on the radio face.

id just buy a DEI 555L bypass.  easy to wire and program.  follow the wiring info and start the car with the key, let it run for a few seconds and the 555L learns the proper R code.  The 03 GA has a second ignition and second accy wire, Lock is straight negative trigger. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 1.5K (1500) ohm resistor. MUST use relays. MUST close doors to lock with a single pulse.  you can also use DEI 456A interface module.  most of the wires besides the ignition harness can be found at the BCM between the blower motor and the passenger side kick panel.

ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
hi you can also pull the instrument cluster to get ign wires makes life a little easier as the key is in dash i recommend the pl 2003 to bypass passlock as this does not require cutting the passlock wires ive had a few 555l fail or cause vehicle to lock up.
good luck
kirk
AlanJE 
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

thanxs ck auto

you are talking about pulling the tach and mph gauges out....seems kinda complex, is there any type of schematic telling me how to get this stuff apart? I know how to pull the radio thats easy, but the insturment cluster seems kinda hard

when I install the 1.5ohm resistor, I put it between the #30 post on the resistor and the white wire located at the drivers kick, is this correct?

I am looking at diagrams to wire resistors, and it shows that for a 03 Grand Am GT1 you need to wire a resistor to make the head lights flash.  it is saying that the wire comming from the alarms control unit needs to be inverted, or polarity amplified, and then connected to the #86 post of the resistor, is this the vehicle parking light wire that needs to be inverted or amplified? and how do I invert or amplify this wire?

Alan

ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

hi the instrument cluster is easy to get out screws on top of guages and 2 behind trim panel on bottom.if you pull radio do not unplug  it or you'll have problems.

yes that will work for your resistor.

why do you want headlights to flash unstead of park lights?

good luck
kirk
godsegoizhuge 
Copper - Posts: 214
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hi i done an avital 4100 on an 02 and a avital 4300 on an 04 grand am. The 04 was alil tough from the get go, simply becuz it was the 1st time that i done an install on a car like it, but now that i finished that and it works. The 02 was alil more easier. He is right about the speedometer piece, when you remove all of the 7mm screws, you'll have this big empty cavity that will make getting to all of your wires alil easier. Except the one thing i found, is you still want to remove the radio, it'll make it alil easier to get to the wires when you strip them back. You might be able to reach them from inside the dash cavity, but my fat fingers couldnt LOL. As far as everything else, once you get that dash piece off, you can also tap into the parking lights even easier. Also i'd order the PLXR from bypasskits.com, that will be alot easier to use then the 555L, all you have to do with that is just tap into the yellow passlock wire and the green keysense wire. Doesnt require cutting the yellow wire in half. Also pretty easy to program.
AlanJE 
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

Kirk

sounds easy enough thanxs, Is it possible to make both the parking lights and the head lights flash? I am looking for a one of a kind effect somthing special !!!!! I was looking at a web site, which now requires authorization to access, but they were showing that you could wire your lights to flash but you needed to invert or palarity amplify the wire comming from the alarm system.....any ideas how to make this happen

thanxs godsegoizhuge

I think I am going to use the PLXR kit, but what about the GMDL-BP kit it sais "GM Databus Passlock 2 & Passkey 3+ & Doorlock & Alarm Interface" the door lock and alarm interface what does this do? does this make it easier when hooking up the doors, like I dont need relays and resistors? and does it interface with the factory alarm easier?

Donation is comming soon just got the alarm today, so kinda broke, sometime early next week

thanxs alot everyone I am starting to pick up the information I need to do this right

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty simple car..Anytime your messing with wiring it's always possible to blow the airbags especially if you don't know what your doing. Luckily this car is a little better because there is no reason to go anywhere near the steering column harness where the air bag wires would normally come down. I wouldn't recommend removing the gauge cluster for this car there really is no reason. Pull the radio to tap your ignition 2 (d. green) and your passlock wires (yellow, black, and green keysense) and everything else you can pickup in the harness in the drivers kick going into the firewall. I've pulled the radio on every one of these cars I've done and never had one lock up on me..Just plug it back in when I'm done and go. If your scared there is plenty of slack on the factory harness to keep the radio plugged in and off to the side out of the way just make sure to put a rag or something between the radio and the dash so it doesn't scratch it all up. Here's my info on the car:
https://installz.com/wiringdiagrams/2003pontiacgrandam.gif
That info is the same for '04 as well. Good luck,
Mike
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic