icon

F-150 Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2003 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

okay in the under-hood power distribution box on a 1997 (or 98 or 99) F-150, there are several mini fuses, maxi fuses, and 2 sizes of relays. the particular truck that i am working on has 3 small relays and 3 big relays. the small ones are the ones i have questions on. there is a diagram that i so wish i had a picture of on the side that does not label which pin is which and the pin configuration is not conventional. i am trying to find out which pin is which.

basically, if i can draw this out, you have two pins on one side of the relay running vertically like this:     |  |   and then on the other end of the relay you have 3 pins running horizontal like this: __ well i cant type 3 lines on top of the other but picture it if you will... i cant really draw it im sorry

anyway im trying to find out of the five pins (2 vertical on one side, 3 horizontal on the other side), which pins are pins 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a.

any suggestions?

mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2003 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

If i was at work i could find out exactly what they are for.

Im wondering though, what are you trying to attempt? If your trying to tie into the relay, why not simply use a new relay and wire it up and mount it somewhere else? Another thing is, it may not even be a normal relay, could be double switching or have weird outputs ext... whatcha tryin to do friend?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
The simplest way to do it is as follows.
1. Set your DMM to measure resistance. Measure the two pins that are vertical, to varify they are the coil.
If it is, it will result in a resistive value from aprox. 80-130 ohms.
2. Take your negative (black) DMM lead and secure it to one of the three terminal pins. This will give you a reference.
Set your meter for continuity. If you do not have a diode / contintuity check. Then, simply set it to the lowest range in resistance on the DMM.
You will probe the other two horizontal pins one at a time. The one that makes the DMM beep or shows 0 ohms is the 87a or the common 30 terminal.
The other one will be of course, be the terminal 87.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Haldol 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

what i am doing: my friend has the truck and it has a wierd intermittent wiper problem. the wipers just come on for no reason no matter if the switch is messed with or not. even if the truck is not running! i traced the wires from the switch to what ford calls the generic electronic module and then out of the module, through the firewall, to the power distribution box. the thing of it is, is that when i go to the wiper motor and measure voltage with the switch on high and low, i get 5v and 4v, which apparently is not enough to run the motor since the motor will not come on. when i connect 12v to the motor, it runs fine. the motor is not at fault. something between the switch and the motor is and the only thing that comes to mind is the relay. the truck had been wrecked on the front left side in the past before my friend got it. the power box under the hood is broken and it could be possible that the relay has a crack in it or some problem.

what does have to do with the pins on the relay? well if i can find out which pin is which, i can connect a conventional relay to it and run with it.

i will try what Teken suggested but id like a more definately answer as well, if anyone else could gather one.

thanks for reading
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Alright the following is what you needed to know. Please varify this information with your DMM to ensure the proper pin out of each connector on the mini 5 pin relay.
Starting by holding the relay vertically, so that the two horizontal pins are at the top. As you hold this relay the other three vertical pins will be at the bottom in your hand, when looking at it from the front.
The (1st) top horizotnal plug is, pin 3 which is number 30 common.
The (2nd) lower horizontal plug is, pin 5 which is number 87.
Starting from left to right of the vertical plugs.
| <- is pin 2 or the coil. | <- is pin 4 or 87a | <- is pin 1 or or the other coil end
=======================================================
___ <-- 30 common
___ <-- 87 NO
| <-85 coil   | <-87a NC | <-86 coil
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Haldol 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
f-ing awesome Teken! thanks a million! btw and off the topic completely: if i found a problem with this site's application guide for speakers, who would i make a comment too? i was looking at the speaker size on this site for a 1999 Buick LeSabre.. this site says 5 1/4 in the front doors. its actually an oversize   6 1/2 in the doors. any suggestions?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
You would direct your information to the Admin, who is so named, the12volt.
Best of luck in finding your gremlins, and if I can help out more let me know.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Steve #1 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
The "ghost wipers" are caused by a faulty Muli-Function (turn signal) switch. Ford TSB# BC3279970207.
Replacing the switch should fix it. Tilting the steering wheel up or down a notch may help.
Haldol 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
We've already changed that. any other ideas though?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
You havent told us what the outcome has been, with regards to the relay check / replacement?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic