icon

Impedance, 2/8 ohms per speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullard2003 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I have 2 Pioneer dual voice coil subs. I am wondering how many ohms that would be if I wired them in paralell. What about series? It says 2/8 ohms per speaker, so that would be 4 ohms per voice coil, right? The calculator doesn`t support dual voice coil very well. Any help would be appreciated!
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure what 2/8 ohms means, but if you are right and each sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub, then if you wire them in parallel they will be at 1 ohm, and if you wire in series they will be at 16 ohms, and if you wire in series/parallel or parallel/series they will be at 4 ohms. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
bullard2003 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
OK, so I know how to wire in a paralell OR a series, but how do I do both (to achieve 4 ohms)?
eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

what 2/8 is saying is that, because the sub has 2 voice coils, it can be wired to be either 2 ohms or 8 ohms. can tell it is dual v/c because the sub will have 2 pairs of terminals.

two 4 ohm voice coils in series is 8 ohms.

two 4 ohm voice coils in parallel is 2 ohms.

soooo. wire the voice coils on the subs in series, ie ______+ vcoil1  -____+ vcoil2 -______

and then the two "eight ohm" subs in parallel to give an end result of 4 ohms to the amp.

2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

When the specs say they are 2/8 ohms, this means that each voice coil rests at 4 ohms. Wiring the one woofer in series will give you 8 ohms, wiring the one woofer in parallel will give you 2 ohms.

You can either wire them both  series and get 8 ohms stereo and them parallel them to get 4 ohms mono. orrrr

You can wire them each in parallel to get 2 ohms stereo (which most any amp will play nicely at) and then series the two woofes at the amp to give 4 ohms mono.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic