icon

how to build my own amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joshw1121 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
i want to build my own amp but i dont know what i need to do it. if someone would be so kind to tell me all the things i need or lead me to a site that i could use to get resources i would be grateful. thank you
tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  

Well Josh, finding stuff on the web was preatty hard, this is about the only site I was able to find. If you stop by a store that sells electronic parts that are more specialized (not radio shack). They will probably have books on amplifier design and building. I've looked at these types of books and personally it seems more worth it to just buy a decent amp with built in x-overs. It does seem kind of fun (at least for me), but be prepared for some tedeous work. 

http://www.everythingsciencefair.com/vk3503.html

eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
man that's one hell of a project! ever looked inside a good amp? a lot of gear in there, and these guys have been doing it for years. making a simple little electronics project is VERY simple, but for 100's of watts at a good sound quality- WOAH.
2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
joshw1121 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
thanks guys
i know this is gonna be a tough project but i really want to do it. i have wanted to for about two years now. do either of you have any idea how much this is gonna cost me cuz i kinda need to know that too lol.
eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
price? depends heaps on how good you want the sound quality. i dont have a clue having never tried it but to give you an idea, whatever something costs for a cheap version expect to pay triple for a high-tolerance version. and sourcing top quality components for audio won't be so easy either. it aint no radio shack job.
2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
I know someone who is an electrical engineer. He builds variable power supplys for electric motors(huge ones!!), anyway, he has built a amp that puts out about 500watts, the problem is the amp is VERY unstable, He ended up coming in our store and bought an alpine MRD-M500. In other words, good luck!
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  

Designing an amplifier for car use is probably a losing proposition, if you're a hobbyist and not an electrical engineer.  First, it's harder to get lots of power out of a car amp, because you're dealing with a lower input voltage compared to home amps.  Then, it has to survive the heat and vibration of the automotive environment without any components being damaged or having their component values drift over time.   If you're thinking about designing the amp from scratch, I can promise you that IF it even works, you will have likely spent several hundred dollars on an amp that will have the sound quality of a flea-market Sparkomatic.  Seriously, there's a reason people get electrical engineering degrees before attempting this stuff.

Now if you're just interested in building an amplifier as a project, why not start off with a tube amplifier kit for home use?  All of the engineering is already done for you - you're basically just learning how amplifiers work as you assemble the kits.  Then, after you've built a few amps, you can start to deviate from established designs and make improvements as you understand the concepts better.

Seriously, I have an engineering degree, and I was an electronics tech in the Navy, then a nuclear reactor operator.  Now, I'm a Flight Officer for the Navy, flying the E-2C "Hawkeye" radar surveillance plane.  Even with all my engineering background and experience, I would no sooner try to design my first amp from scratch than I would try to perform brain surgery without going to med school first.  Assemble some home amplifer kits, learn the concepts, and then tackle an automotive amp project if you feel up to it.

Scott Gardner

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic