icon

Astroflex / Astrostart Remote Starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sunster69 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 nissan pathfinder with a astroflex (astrostart) 1105 model remote starter. It has worked fine that last few years but now when its cold it does not start.
I tried doing the auto tach learn but according to the instructions you're supposed to set the dip switches, start the car with key and then press the brake. It's supposed to take aprox 4 sec and then the light should flash the # of cylinders detected. BUT do you keep the brake pressed? And then WHAT? do you turn the truck off and put the dip switchs to off and save setting or WHAT???? When i try according to instructions when i press the pedal, the light on the unit goes out and then comes on after aprox 4 secs but keeps flashing (is the led on the unit supposed to flash # of cylinders after succesful tach learn or the parking lights?
I've been searching for a answer to this for quite some time and don't want to keep stressing my starter.
Also what should the engine setting be set to? Is is supposed to be 6 cylinder at 800 rpm?
Thanks in advance
linearg 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is it doing when you try to start it in the cold? Does it not start at all? The 1105 will flash a trouble code after unsuccessful start, on the LED.
To set the cylinder to a six cylinder setting you just push dip switches 1, 5,6 up press the brake, push 1,5,6 down, press brake and the cylinder setting is set in memory.
sunster69 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
no it doesn't start at all. After 3 unsuccessful attempts I checked the trouble code and it flashes 13 times which is "engine not cranking fast enough" as per manual.
Also when I set it to 6 cylinder and 800 rpm and save the settings, the remote starter works but it fails to disengage the starter (i think) and after whining really loud it automatically shuts down.
any idea how to use the auto tach learn mode? I have the manual but when i follow those instructions it just doesn't work. And the manual is unclear as to what to do after starting with key and pressing brake?
linearg 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Have you traced the tach wire (BLACK/ green)to see if the wire is still connected to the vehicle tach wire, also check to see where it goes through the fire wall to see if shorting out. I have put in hundreds of Astrostarts and if you can't program a tach setting( I never uses the Auto tach mode) then it might be time to yank the box and have it repaired by Astroflex.
sunster69 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
no i haven't traced the wire but when i start the truck the led on the unit flashes slow or fast if i rev it, so i assumed that that is the tach signal coming thru.
i reprogrammed it to a 6 cylinder and 800 rpm setting as per manual (dip 1,56 up/press brake/dips off/press brake)
now it does start with the remote but it whines really loud and shuts down.
Any ideas?
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Alternator will usually whine when it is going bad.
Tacomacrew
sunster69 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
that may be but in this case it's only with the remote starter and it's most likly because something (be it the alternator or starter or ?) is not disengaging.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic