icon

2001 bonneville passkey info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fruhead 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'm doing a remote start on a bonneville which is supposed to have the passkey3 system. To my knowledge, the system has more than three wires. The passkey1 system should have 3 wires (black, white, yellow). I opened up the ignition and it had only the 3 wires. Is it the passkey3 system? I bought a bypass for the passkey3, and it has the directions to connect it an ignition that looks completely different, which leads me to believe it's the original passkey.
Also, can I connect the remote start high current wires to the thin gauge ignition wires (except for the 12v)? The only ignition wires I've worked on have been heavy gauge.
Thanks,
-David
serialthrlla 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
the stem of a PK3 key will say PK3 on the shaft just below the head. yes you can hook the heavy gauge to the smaller wires but the 12v needs to come from the batt.
Fruhead 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
It says pk3 on it, but the connections to the bypass won't work... there's only 3 wires off of the ignition.
Fruhead 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Does the passkey3 system have only three wires? I have the installation for the bypass which says there should be a violet wire somewhere, but there's only the yellow black and white. Would it be alright to go ahead and use a pk1/2 bypass on the car?
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
use a 555U and a spare key.  it goes around the key cyl and it transmits the code from the key inside the module.  ive never found any wires or cut them for that matter.
ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  
will the vehicle start with the key just placed in the ign not turned at all sounds like passlock wire your finnding but try the key thing and if it starts then it is pk3 if it oesn't its passlock
good luck
kirk
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
The violet wire you need is found at the diagnostic plug under the driver's side dash. The car has Passkey III. This car is a little different than most of the other Passkey III systems in that the main module for it is located behind and on top of you info center top center of the dash. If your interface duplicates a key after being programmed you can use the purple wire at the diagnostic plug. This is the car's data bus wire and will relay the correct code to the car's computer.
sparky
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have yet to see a Passkey III databus interface. Only passlock II.
We just had a Bonneville in the shop today. Another installer worked on it. Wiring wise it looked like Passlock II because of the 3-wire harness with the yellow, black and white wires. Ended up using a programmed uncut key in a homemade "555u". Found out the PK3 wires are located in a hard place to get to under the top of the dash. Used a 456a for keyless.
Fruhead 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic