icon

dimmer wire in a taurus?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DJFreaq 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

When my stereo was first installed in my truck (1991 Chevy S-10) it hooked up the dimmer wire from my deck kenwood 619, so when my lights turned on, my stereo's display dimmed.

Currently, I took the old strereo out of my truck (including amp, sub) and put it in my 1999 Ford Taurus LX. It was no easy task because I had to buy alll that Metra crap to get it to work. I installed everything and it works just perrrfectly, but I didn't know how to connect my dimmer wire.

Now i'm getting around to installing my fog lights, and i figured since I will be doing some wiring, I am wondering how to rig in the dimmer wire into the head lights. I have no clue where'd I'd hook that into, at alll. Period.

Any detailed help would really be appreciate, all I have right now is my hand gripped around a little orange wire.

Adam

Riding a Taurus, yea... a Taurus. Jelly Bean Machine to the Extreme. :P
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i would hook it into the positive side of the dimmer switch use a multimeter to find this wire also check to make sure the dimmer input on your radio is meant for a postive source, should say on the wiring diagrasm for all the wires
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DJFreaq 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

forgive me for being totally green, but being an amature electronics guy who's projects are not frequent, and whose knowledge base is somewhat low. I was wondering where i could find the dimmer switch in the car? is it just where the headlight switch is? i'm not very clear on waht to do, but I do understand how to find out whether or not it's positive or not, i got my trust radio shack volt/ohm reader by my side, and i'll check the wiring diagram.

anyway, any more details would help out a ton, and if you know where i can get a manual that shows me where this stuff is.

i'd appreciate anything really, i'm no professional.

Riding a Taurus, yea... a Taurus. Jelly Bean Machine to the Extreme. :P
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
There should be a dimmer wire on the back of your light switch. You can use your meter and see which wires voltage increases and decreases as you operate the dimmer.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

DJFreaq wrote:

I was wondering where i could find the dimmer switch in the car?

If you haven't found it yet, it should be a rotary knob on the dash.  The universal symbol on most dimmer switches looks like a light bulb with gradiated hashmarks in the background, kind of like a lightbulb in front of a gas gauge with no needle.

Scott Gardner

Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
Durwood is right about the dimmer switch this is the perfect place.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic