icon

Sirius Install, 2001 Civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrnull 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

hi!  my girl bought me a one of those plug-n-play sirius kits for christmas.  includes the tuner and car docking kit.  unfortunately, my tape player is dead (i think it's the tape drive belt) and so i'm SOL.  is there another way i could hook this up into my audio system?  i have electronics knowlege (hell, i had to built an fm transmitter for class last semester) but i've never worked with car audio before.  i've never removed any panels, ran any wires to my battery, anything!  i heard that i have 2 options:

• fm modulation
  • something called a hon-aux

my car is a civic 2001 lx.  i'd love to do the install myself if possible.  what do you think is the best route, and are there any step-by-step guides that could help me through all the aspects of the installation?  i'm verry appreciative of any help you can provide me.

SoundImage 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
fm mod is the easiest and simply to install
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

An FM modulator is the easiest way to go, but in some areas where the FM band is crowded, you can have a hard time finding an available frequency to use if your tuner isn't very good at rejection adjacent-frequency interference.  Also, the frequency response will be limited to whatever your radio is capable of.  The Honda-specific auxilary cable will probably be just as easy to plug in, and might sound noticeably better.  In my opinion, going the FM modulator route is for people that don't have a hardwire option available to them like the Honda-Aux kit.

Scott Gardner

mrnull 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
the good fms are hardwired though right?  directly to the antenna?  are the wireless ones decent in quality?  my only worry with those is that i won't have another 5v cigarette lighter adapter because of my sirius tuner.  there's no splitter or anything is there?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic