the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Power wire and distribution Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I have Three amps two for bass one for mid and highs. I have two caps. I will be running 2 gauge from the battery to ????? THats my question. SHould I do it from the battery to the caps, (both caps are connected together with a 2 gauge wire + and -) them from the caps (4 gauge to the amps) to the distribution fuse block and then to the amp.
OR
Should I run The 2 gauge from the battery to the distribution block, then a two 4 gauge to the caps and then to the distribution blocks and to the amps.
Which one will be the best way to do it.
thank you
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

OK this is what I would do.  I would run the two guage from the battery to your fuse to your Distibution block.  (if you have three 4 guage outputs on the distribution block) use one of the four gauge outputs to go to the caps but before the caps put a 40 or 80 amp fuse and run the caps in parralell and ground them to the chasis.  The reason I would put a fuse in before the caps is because those are like bombs if they get a surge or ground out.  then run your other two outputs to the amps.

Now I noticed you have three amps.  If you have a performance battery such as a yellow top optima or a performance alternator.  You don't really need to use a cap for the amp on your mids and highs.  You could run the 2 gauge from your batter to a fuse then to the distribution block and then one four guage will go to the mid and highs amp and then the other four gauge will go to a fuse then to the caps then off of the caps you can go 8 guage to each of the amps.  You'll have to change the wire between the two caps from 2 gauge to 4 guage.  Hope that helps.  It's a little confusion but write back if you have any other questions 

Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

Honestly, it doesn't matter.  If you're using 2-gauge and 4-gauge, you can put the caps at the battery, at the distribution block, or at the amps.  There won't be any noticeable voltage drop along any of those wires, so electrically, any point will be the same.

Truth be told, caps are really only good for reducing visible dimming and flickering in your lights, so perhaps putting them right next to your headlamps would be best.

Scott Gardner

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic