icon

Amp install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Rockford Fosgate 1001bd amp and Jl audio 300/4, which combine for 1300 rms watts.  I dont know what gauge wire to use.  The amps are going to be about 15-20 feet from the battery.  I am thinking 0 gauge, but I would like to get away with 4 gauge if possible.  Also do I need a capacitor?  And if so, do I wire it to both ams, or just to the sub amp.  Also what gauge speaker wire should I use and what type of rca's.  I would think that the expensive rca's would be better than the cheap ones, but I just dont know.  Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Chandler

Chandler Martin
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
You will be fine with a 4 gauge for your main power cable, as far as the cap goes the rule of thumb is 1 farad for every 1000 watts rms, so you would need a 1.5 farad cap but it never hurts to go larger. As far as the cap goes you do really don’t need one your better off investing that money into a high output alternator. However if you do install the cap you can install it before the amps distro block or inline with either amp. As far as the speaker wire goes you can use 16 or 14 gauge for your mids and highs, and 12 gauge for your subs. Their are several types of rca's out their that all claim to have the special patent that makes their brand better then the rest, but from my experience if you just get a decent set you wont be able to hear a difference between them and a $150 set. Personally I use Knukonceptz Krystal Konnectz series http://www.knukonceptz.com they have some excellent quality cables at reasonable prices.
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
What size fuse do I need to use, The Rockford Fosgate amp says a 100 amp fuse, and the Jl audio amp says a 40 amp fuse.  Do I add these together and get a 140 amp fuse?  Or do i just get a 100 amp fuse? 
Chandler Martin
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
From my calculations with 1300 watts rms you should be pulling about 100 amps.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
you may wana go 2 guage for that amount of power and distance, it will just cut down on the resistance to a safer level.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

bberman1 wrote:

Even being generous and assuming the RF amp and the JL amp are 75% efficient, you're still looking at closer to 150 amps, not 100.  And that's for the RMS load, not the peak load.  I'd definitely go with 2-gauge for this.

Scott Gardner

Durwood 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

chan4202 wrote:
What size fuse do I need to use, The Rockford Fosgate amp says a 100 amp fuse, and the Jl audio amp says a 40 amp fuse.  Do I add these together and get a 140 amp fuse?  Or do i just get a 100 amp fuse? 

Go for at least a 140-amp fuse at the battery.  You can go higher if you want - the fuse near the battery isn't to protect the amps, it's to protect the wiring in case part of it shorts to ground.  Put the 140-amp (or larger) fuse as close to the battery as you can, since any wire between the battery and the fuse won't be protected from shorts.

Scott Gardner

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like you have the wiring down but as far as a Capacitor you might want to save up a few dollars more and upgrade your alternator.  Your car would love you for it.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Durwood wrote:

bberman1 wrote:

Even being generous and assuming the RF amp and the JL amp are 75% efficient, you're still looking at closer to 150 amps, not 100.  And that's for the RMS load, not the peak load.  I'd definitely go with 2-gauge for this.

Scott Gardner

I can almost guarantee you if he used a 100 amp fuse he would never blow it. That setup will never draw anywhere near 150 amps

Durwood 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Are you saying that the RMS numbers for those amps are BS, or that the amps are significantly more than 75% efficient?  If we believe the RMS numbers and assume 75% efficiency (which I feel is being generous), then the current required by the amplifiers to provide 1300 WRMS is about 145 amps.  Current required for peak output will be significantly higher than that.

Scott Gardner

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic