Amp install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

chan4202 wrote:
What size fuse do I need to use, The Rockford Fosgate amp says a 100 amp fuse, and the Jl audio amp says a 40 amp fuse.  Do I add these together and get a 140 amp fuse?  Or do i just get a 100 amp fuse? 

Just to make sure you're clear on one point.  If you put a 100-amp or 140-amp fuse near the battery, that's NOT a substitute for the recommended fuses near the amplifiers.  I can't recall if the 1000bd or 300/4 are internally fused or not.  I just didn't want you to think that all you needed was a single large fuse at the battery.

Scott Gardner

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
If the amplifiers are not internally fused then he will need a fuse for each at the rear of the vehicle, a fuse of a value of 100 amps or greater than the combined value of the 2 amps should go near the battery. While it is true that even though the amps say they need 140 amps of fusing, this is for a maximum power output, not a sustained and constant listening level, most fuses will not snap at the rated value's, especially the larger maxi fuses, wafer fuses or even breakers, they are designed with quite a high tolerance for over current draw in most applications. I 100amp breaker or fuse should suffice for most people, but I would err on the safe side and use something a little larger.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Now if I run two 4 gauge power wires, with 80 amp fuses, an then each to the respected amp, will I be fine?  I read that the rockford fosgate amp pulls only 50 amps while playing music and 80 amps peak.. I dont plan on having the bass turned up very much, so my gain will be turned down.  What would this cause to happen, would the amp just not perform, it wont hurt anything right?
Chandler Martin
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  

chan4202 wrote:
Now if I run two 4 gauge power wires, with 80 amp fuses, an then each to the respected amp, will I be fine?  I read that the rockford fosgate amp pulls only 50 amps while playing music and 80 amps peak.. I dont plan on having the bass turned up very much, so my gain will be turned down.  What would this cause to happen, would the amp just not perform, it wont hurt anything right?

Are you talking about running two separate 4-gauge power wires all the way from the battery back to the subs?  That's kind of overkill.  Just run 4-gauge from the battery back to a distribution block, and then 4- or 8-gauge from the distribution block to the amps.  Put a 150-amp fuse as near the battery as you can.  If your amps don't have internal fuses, then put the recommended fuse sizes between the distribution block and the amps.  If you do use 8-gauge coming out of the distribution block, put a fuse on the 8-gauge wire as close to the distribution block as you can.

Scott Gardner

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic