icon

Dome lights flickering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimparker999 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
In a 1995 Pathfinder, the dome lights keep flickering and at the same time the dash light says a door is open.  I can turn the dome lights fully off and stop the dome lights from flashing, but while driving down the road, the door open dash light still goes off, sometimes it comes on dimly, sometimes comes on full bright.  Dash light seems to come on and off more when I hit bumps. I have checked all door switches and dome lights - no rust, no frayed wires anywhere I can find which could be grounding and causing this to happen.  No aftermarket alarm stereo or anything has ever been installed in the car. 
The wiring diagram says there is a diode in the lighting circuit somewhere between the rear hatch switch and the front door switches. Perhaps that is faulty and makes it seem like a door is open. Does anyone know where that darn diode is? I can't find it.
Or - does anyone have a better idea of what might be wrong?
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
i was going to say an aftermarket shock sensor tied into the dome light wire without a diode will do that, but since you've got no aftermarket alarm - it has to be one of the dome light switches (driver, passenger, or rear hatch) or - you have a wire that is chaffed and shorting out.  simple diagnosis - unplug the rear hatch switch if you suspect it's coming from it, and tape the end - drive it around, see if it still does it.  if it does, then perform the same thing on the driver and passenger door switches.  if it's STILL doing it, then it's a matter of tracking down where the cut is in the insulation on the dome light wire.
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  

oh - P.S.

i've seen this even on cars that are only a few years old..... the door pin switches will sometimes "push in" from use, to where the pin switch will still operate the dome light, but only barely.... the moment you even begin to open the door, the light immediately illuminates.  if that's the case, replace the switch - messing with the old one is really more headache than the $2 cost of a new one

jimparker999 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

I got this one figured out, thanks to a Nissan service manager.  Following might be of help to someone else:

In addition to the 4 door switches, there is a switch hidden INSIDE the back hatch of the Pathfinder!  It is actually a part of the locking mechanism - the hook thing that grabs the loop on the trunk sill.   I solved my flickering problem by just unplugging the wires to this switch.  (Had to take the trim panel off the back hatch to get to it).  I think that the problem can really be fixed by replacing the lock mechanism, but that is a big pain.  Perhaps it can also be solved by simply adjusting the lock at bit.   I think the lights were flickering because the back hatch was not completely latched. I'll try that when the weather is warmer!    Thanks to others who responded on this. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic