icon

97 Dodge Ram battery or alternator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jpilson21 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield.com is telling me that I need a custom hi output alternator for the car audio install I want to do on a 97 Dodge Ram truck. However a local car electrical business says to add a second battery and run the stereo system exclusively from this battery - and this will be better than adding custom alternator. This business further claims that the alternator will safely produce enough current to keep both batteries charged. Does anyone know for sure which is the right way to go? (Keep in mind the install has 2 Lanzar amps totalling 2000 watts. My alternator only puts 117 amps.)
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

If your alternator cannot keep up with the average demand of the car's electrical system (including your stereo), then no amount of batteries or capacitors is going to help you.  I'm going to assume that your 2000 Watts is RMS power, not peak.  Assuming your amplifiers are 50% efficient, that means that your amplifiers will be drawing well over 300 amps to produce 2000 Watts.  If they only do this for a short time, and the average draw is much lower, you might be okay, but I'd still look into a bigger alternator before you do anything else.  For a big truck like that, you should be able to find a 200-250 amp alternator for not too much money.  A quick look on eBay shows a 160-amp model for $175, but that's probably not a big enough improvement to warrant the replacement.

Scott Gardner

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
jpilson21 wrote:
Crutchfield.com is telling me that I need a custom hi output alternator for the car audio install I want to do on a 97 Dodge Ram truck.
Based on the information you have given here. I would agree with them on that point.
jpilson21 wrote:
However a local car electrical business says to add a second battery and run the stereo system exclusively from this battery
They are obviously not clear on your needs in terms of *off time listening* or very much lacking in common sense, with regards to what makes power.
Is it the battery, or the alternator?
jpilson21 wrote:
and this will be better than adding custom alternator. This business further claims that the alternator will safely produce enough current to keep both batteries charged.
I'm sorry but the above written text does not make sense to me. It is contradictory to what you have stated previously about the stereo shop.
Please clarify . . .
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
jpilson21 wrote:
My alternator only puts 117 amps.)
I had to read over your first reply. In my opinion, you will have to be very honest as to WHAT you expect to be able to do with this system in place.
I think alot of people lose sight that, unless you truly are a ground pounder, or those who compete seriously, then upgrading your alternator is a wise chioce and investment for the vehicle.
If on the other hand you are only going to listen to the music at extreme levels for short perdiods of time. And assuming you are NOT running alot of extra accessories at the same time.
Then, in the short terms you could save some money and leave alternator out. But if it came to choosing which one first, it would be the alternator in this case.
It is all about power generation which is the 98% of the time you are running.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic