icon

1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
torhne 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

I have been looking for days to find the stereo wiring color codes for my jeep, i cant find it anywhere, and my little brother cut off my adapter thing for the old stereo and lost it, so a plug in conversion thing is out of the question. so if anyone could provide me with the color codes for this, i would be in debt to them 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks again,

Carl

tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  

If all else fails, try this.  

You will need a digital multi meter or a test light, and a 9 volt battery.

Your 88' Cherokee probably dosn't have air bags. If you don't have a digital multi meter, use a test light.

First, find the memory wire, this will have 12volts with the ignition off, then turn the ign on or turn it to acc. , which ever wire gets 12 volts will be your ignition wire. Next for the ground wire. If you have a black wire, it will probably be slightly larger than the rest of the wires, if you have a braided wire this is your ground. If you have a black wire you think is a ground, attach your meter or light to it and turn on the parking lights, if it lights up, it is your illumination, if not, it's probably your ground wire.   Then, to find each speaker wire its just a process of elimination take one wire thats left over and  touch it to one side of the 9volt battery, than one by one, touch each of the other wires to the other battery terminal, when you get a popping sound, you have found your speaker, this will not hurt your speaker as long as you don't leave the battery connected. To check polarity, Pop the speaker with the battery, have a freind look through the speaker grill to see which direction the speaker pops. If it pops outward, you have the positive and negative wires correct in relation to the battery positive and negative, this is also how you should hook it up to the radio. If the speaker pops inward, your battery is backward.

Hope this helps, hope its not too confusing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic