icon

Lanzar subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Well after reading alot of reveiws on this forum bout lanzar speakers saying they were lousy, I bought some anyway!

I got an older set of vs-15,s And these things pound pretty well. $100 bucks for both so the price was right! There in a sealed box 1.5 cu ft per sub seperate airspace.Im thinkin that the box is too small but i cant find specs for the subs on lanzars site cause there older. At loud vol im getting what sounds to be port noise BUT i have no ports, what do yas think Too small?

Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

I can't find anything on that sub either - you might need to call/e-mail Lanzar to get specs.  1.5 ft^3 per sub does sound a little small, though.  1.75-3.00 ft^3 might be better.

As for the noise, I can't say what it is without hearing it, but it might be the sound of the speaker fighting against the pressurized air inside the box.  Since that's a big speaker in what's probably an undersized sealed box, there's going to be a pretty high pressure inside the box acting against the speaker cone.  Try a larger box and see if the noise goes away.

Scott Gardner

astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
I played with the frequincy on my amp today and was able to eliminate some of the noise,think i may have been sending to high of a freq. to the subs. (midbass boom?)Would some polyfil be a good idea before making a bigger box?
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

You could always try Polyfil - it would be a cheap experiment.  I suspect it's not going to be enough, though.  The typical recipe for using Polyfil is one pound per cubic foot.  This will make the box behave as if it was about ten percent larger.  I think you're undersized by way more than ten percent.  You can't simply use more polyfill, because the denser you pack it, the LESS effective it becomes.

The best bet is going to be to find out what the recommended box size is for your sub, and if you truly are way undersized, build/buy a bigger box.

Scott Gardner

astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx durwood guess ill e mail lanzar see what they say
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Well its been a week now and havent heard back from lanzar yet, I feel like im being ignored!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic