how can i bypass stock amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Yisitmehuh 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
i got a 2000 mustang gt convertable with a mach 460 sound system
my amp for my tweeters died so is it possible to jus bypass the 3 amps in my car and put in a new head unit while still using the cars original speaker wires?
thanks
1nicemustang 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
yes it is. i have a 2001 mustang with just the 2 amps and i intergrated my system using the factory amplifiers.
on one side of the amp you will have 3 wires on the plug the one in the middle is the amp remote lead the other two are pos neg signal in wires.
if the amps are the same type as i have in my car you will have a jumble of wires in another plug on it. one blk/wht negative one green.blk positive the others are grounds and power etc.
really all you have to do is locate the wires in the wires out and tie them together to close the circuit.
(but in a perfect world this would work in fords world it might not. in 2001 the amps power two speakers mono each side (so called subs)if i recall the tweeter /mid amp is in the front of your car under the headunit and powers the left right speakers in the same manner which to me would be a two ohm load and also not stereo).
the above example will work but you need to seperate the mid/highs for separate channels for stereo.
Yisitmehuh 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
i just bought a new deck and i want the use the after market head units internal amp to power my speakers
is there a way i can bypass my internal amps but still use those existing wires foro my speakers?
i drive a 2000 mustang gt covertable with the mach 460 sound system
i bought an amp harness but it doesnt work
thanks
Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

there is no way to "bypass the stock amps" the only way is to run new cables.  I have the same car and went through the same thing you are.  use the regular power harnes (that plugs right in) And use the new wires that you run to power the speakers.  Also the stock ford speakers are 6ohm not 4ohm ... so in short ... its easier to remove everything and start from scratch!

Yisitmehuh 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
do u know how i would run wire from the headunit to the doors? does that mean i would need crossovers for the woofer and tweeter?
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried Crutchfield  ( http://www.crutchfield.com)?  Quite often they have all the kits you need for installation.  Talk to one of their representatives and maybe they can help, even thought the MACH systems tend to be tough to work around.  I bought a kit from them to bypass my ford's JBL soundsystem's amplifier.  Was easy as removing a panel, disconecting 2 wires, and plugging them into a harness.    Worth a try, atleast.....
~wayland
JR_Performance 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
on the harness you bought it has an amp turn on wire, blue/white that connects to the blue/white wire on the new radio harness.
dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
where are the internal amps?
Dyer
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
theres a special harness u can by for premium sound system such as the mach system. i dont belive u need to rewire anything. not sure though.
evolutionoftym 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
I believe with the amp bypass harness you're looking for from Metra is the MET 80-5514? I know the 5513 bypasses older fords like the 93-96? Explorer...I'm not exactly sure the harness #.  Hope this steers you in the right direction
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic