the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Silverado, Add Amp and Speakers to Factory Radio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Ok First I should state what I want to do. I want to keep the factory head unit but, eventually add amps and a sub and replace the factory speakers. I have run into some issues.  First I was gonna just throw a set of MB Quart separates in the front replacing the stock speakers and see how that sounded. Well the factory speakers (they are separates as well although the tweeter is so cheap you can hardly hear it) have a set of wires running to each one.  The Quarts have separate hookups but then go into a small  cylindrical crossover with only one set of wires coming out.

How do I hook them up to these separate wires? Do the factory ones have a crossover somewhere between the radio and the speakers?

The next thing is when I do hook up amps and subs I will need a remote turn on which also supports retain accessory power. I saw the diagram here of how to do that but, I have also seen some of these units made by like PAC or Mobile Authority etc. which provides for that as well as being a line output converter.

Question is will any of these work for this truck?  For example the OEM-1 etc. Is there one that will accomplish what I want for this truck?

I realize adding amps will take care of the first problem with the multiple wires to speakers but, I would still like to know what someone else has done. I see alot of people mentioning Silverados here so Im sure you have come across these issues.

I really need to know what converter options I have? My amps dont accept line level inputs so Im gonna need it. Im google searching for one but this is the first time I have tried to keep a factory head so Im not real experienced on what will do what I need.  Thank you

evolutionoftym 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  

you have a few options....in regards to your speakers......you can just hook up the lead going to the woofer into your cross-over and then connect everything from there or splice the factory tweeter and woofer wires together (completely a personal choice although I recommend leaving the tweeter wires alone because once you hook up your crossover you won't need a second set of wire)

-In regards to your amp sub question, I use PAC converters for line-level adding amp and subs and have had no problems.....to get the amp turn on wire you're looking for you can simply hook it up to your switched power from the radio.  Hope this helps any other questions.....just keep on posting

boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks evolutionoftym for the reply. Do the factory speakers have a crossover? Why are they using two separate wires? I guess its not a big deal Im just curious at this point.

As far as remote turn on why would they even have remote turn on leads if you can just use the radio acc wire? Dont I have to be concerned with drawing too much current or backfeed? Have you done this without problems?

I emailed tech support last night at autosoundgear.com because I was searching their site for converters and they replied this morning with one called the ven4. They also said there is already a remote turn on wire with the factory head (Pink in 9 pin connecter) although I dont know why since I dont have a power antenna or factory amp. They also said to avoid cutting wires I could use two harnesses which I am assuming one is for hooking up  an aftermarket head unit and then a reversal harness. Anyone done this? The 21 pin harnesses are about $14 apiece. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for your time.

buslar 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Is it Bose or not. Makes a huge difference.
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
No it is not Bose. Thanks
evolutionoftym 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
you do always have to be worried about drawing too much current, if that's a concern may I recommend taking your turn on from an ignition wire under your dash......fuse the wire of course and you should be fine.....just meter a wire that runs 12 volts when the key is in the acc or on position

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic