icon

8 solo baric

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Im kicking around the idea of going with a single 8" solo baric rather than a 10.  The reason being I did an in store listen today of a 10" and it was pretty radical. I have another vehicle with 2 ,  10" kicker older subs not solo baric and they have the ability to rattle and shake things.  Im not looking for that in this vehicle. I just want tight clean bass. Unfortunately they didnt have an 8 setup available for me to listen to.  Im wondering if anyone has just a single 8? How does it sound? Do you think Id be real sorry I didnt get a 10?  I know I could tone down a 10 if it was too much but, if an 8 is good then I could use a smaller enclosure. The vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Silverado ext cab. Im going to build a box to put under the rear seat and fire downward. A 10 is doable but, an 8 would be much easier. So what do you guys think?
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
No one has an opinion on 8 inch subs? Remember 1 solo baric is designed to have the output of two normal subs or so I have read. Like I said I heard a 10" and it was rattling the large enclosure it was in.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Well the thing is, Kicker subs aren't much for sound quality. =P  If you want some tight clean bass, go with an infinity subwoofer in a sealed box. You won't be disappointed.

--mindctrl

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
In such a small cab i would think you would be fine with an 8 cause it doesnt sound like u want somthing to hurt ur head.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies. Ya I dont want to feel the bass beat in my head I just want  it to sound good. As far as the infinity goes dont you think it may require two 8"?  

Anybody else wanna chime in here?    Thanks again

mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Well... see the reason I suggested Infinity to you is because you sounded like you wanted a SQ sound more the SPL.  Kickers are undoubtedly SPL subs.  The reason for this is because of the way their excursion is set up... The surround design doesn't allow for a quick response time.  However, they do offer a good tradeoff in the SPL they output because of the fact that the Kicker Solo-Baric square design of the sub allows for 20% more cone space... hence people say that it does the job of two "normal" subs...

However, if you want a nice quality, all around sound that doesn't beat into the back of your skull, but still hits decently and sounds great, go with Infinity.  They are world reknowned for their SQ subs.  Putting them in a sealed box with help even more, but a ported box will do just as well.  I don't believe you'll need two of them, in my opinion, one Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" sub in a ported box will sound beautiful, but if you aren't looking to pay 160 for a sub, then go with a regular Kappa or even a Reference.  All of them will give you some awesome SQ results.  Lemme know if you have any more questions.

--mindctrl

tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well i may be of some help on this one. I just did a small system in my wifes 97 F-150 supercab. I used a single 8" Diamond Audio CM3 mounted under the rear seat facing down and slightly forward with about 280 watts on it. I found a ported enclosure to be much better than the sealed for my set-up (tried 3 different box set-ups). Anyways, i have the 2 door speaks and 2 rear speaks run off the deck, they are Infinitys, and it sounds very good. Everything balanced out great. And the single 8 does give quite a kick for such a small speaker. So, you will be pleased with a single 8 as long as you have the right enclosure and power for it.
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help. This thread has pretty much made me feel I wont be sorry with a single 8.  Now to make a choice on which it will be.

I will be powering them with a Kenwood KAC 921.. This will produce 200 x1 at a 4 ohm load.  I would think that will be sufficient. I do want a good balance. I dont want the sub to dominate.

tdsteele your reply was something I hoped for, someone with a similar setup. Thanks to all.      All ideas are still welcome.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic