icon

Chevy 1500 dash lights?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soldier 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
I wired in a head unit, that seemed like a standard job. Afterwards, the dash lights were not working. I noticed when I connected a remote wire ,the security dash light made a noise.  Is there a wire that interferes with the dash light?
Dan, CEO
Promobile
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you cut your dimmer wire, or hooked it up incorrectly.  Double check your wiring harness... Might also be a Theftlock system throwing little tricks your way like it loves to do...

--mindctrl

soldier 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
  Is this a typical symptom of the factory security?  If so, what measures need to be taken to get the lights working properly?
Dan, CEO
Promobile
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
What is the year, make and model of your truck? There are duplicate colors in alot of GM radio wiring. Some of these like the brown and grey and for either speakers or lamp circuits. Check with a meter first.
sparky
soldier 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
It is a 2001 Chevy 1500.
Dan, CEO
Promobile
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

This is a classic example of why a wiring harness should be used. They are pretty cheap and the wires have been figured out for you. I suppose the possibility exists it could be wrong but, they have been doing it for quite some time and I havent heard any complaints.  On top of that you dont have to cut your vehicle wires.

I would suggest buying a harness.  I dont know the wiring colors at this time for your truck I wish I did cause Id like to help out your predicament now in the event you dont want to get a harness. Good luck

soldier 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
actually i used a harness.  i previously left the dimmer wire disconnected, and not sure yet if the connection has solved the issue.  thats why i ask the question-  no fused blown, all wires connected, things should work, right?
Dan, CEO
Promobile
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok You used a harness Im glad to hear that. By using it wasnt it just a plug and play job? Was there more to it than that? I havent yet worked with really new vehicles but, the ones I did work on were easy plug and play. 

Let me see if I understand you right.  You simply hooked up the radio and all your dash lights quit? Sorry Im just a little unclear. Also what remote wire are you talking about? Remote turn on to an amp? You said that you previously left the dimmer wire disconnected. Did the lights work then? Sounds like your saying they did not. If you didnt cut any wires I would think it should work.

Okoboji 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Before you start doing any thing drastic try regrounding the head unit.  This is done easly by conecting the head units black wire to any bare metal that happens to be near by..
Okoboji
"Yo I wanna buy a system so big it blows women's clothes off!"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic