icon

wiring subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jpranwez 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
  What's up, I've got and audiobahn mono sub amp and two tens. The amp is 2,000 watts rms at 1 ohm and I don't think the subs can handle it. They're 4 ohm dvc wired down to 2ohms each. I know I can run them at 1 ohm but I'd like to add another sub and still keep the load at 1 ohm. Any ideas on a sub and setup where I can run three or four subs at 1 ohm. I'd be happy with three subs at 2 ohms if I could get it set up right. Thanks for any help.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
You can get (4) 2 ohm dvc and wire them in series - parallel for a 1 ohm load. But what make and model subs and amp do you have now?
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
Another option is not turning the gains up all the way.
jpranwez 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

bberman, are you talking about taking 2 ohm dvcs and wiring them to 4 ohms then down to one ohm to the amp. If thats it then I have the problem that the two audiobahn subs I have are 4 ohm dvcs and I don't really want to buy four new high end subs. I can afford one or two more and if I can I'd like to wire them down to 1or 2 ohms.The amp I  have is the audiobahn hct 1500. It's 1by 500 at 4ohms,1by 1,000 at 2 ohmsand 1by 2,000 at 1 ohm. The subs I have can handle 600 watts rms.

bfog99 If I run three two ohm speakers parallel it comes out to be 2/3 ohm. You're saying that as long as I don't turn the gain up all the say 3/4 or 2/3 it won't damage the amp?

bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
I got ahead of myself. I was thinking about 2 subs, not 3 or 4. Don't drop below the suggested ohm rating of your amp, it is a bad idea. Sorry for the confusion.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
You asked how to run 3 or 4 subs @ 1 ohm and I was suggesting that you get (4) 2ohm dvc and wire them in series - parallel http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/Series_Parallel_dual_2_ohm.pdf for a 1 ohm load. But in a more realistic situation I would suggest that you sell your current subs, and buy (2) good 4 ohms dvc subs that can handle the power. And wire them in paralel to the amp for a 1 ohm load http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_parallel_dual_4.pdf But what make and model subs are you currently using?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

If getting new subs to replace what you have is not an option is not an option, you can still use what you have. Add three more of the same subs to your system. Wire each sub to a 8 ohm load by wiring in series, then wire all together in parallel = approx 1.6 ohm in mono. Something tells me that you probably would not be best doing this though, 3 more subs + what you have already = a lot of weight, a big box, and alot of wasted $. Your best bet is to turn the gain on the amp all the way down, wire your current subs in a series parallel circuit and they will "rest" at a 2 ohm mono load, adjust your gain to this level or wire the subs in an all parallel circuit at they will "rest" at the 1 ohm mono load, turn the gain down. There is nothing wrong with having too much power, infact it is better that you have more power than not enough but the risk that you take with any sub that is being driven to it's full potential is heat buildup, if you are going to play these subs all day long at top volume, I'll almost guarantee a failure is in your future, you must allow the subs to cool down

I have one customer right now that has melted the motor structure and magnets right off the baskets of his Eclipse Titanium 10's, he listened to his system for 16 hours straight on a trip from northern Alberta back here to Vancouver Island, BC. Heat is a killer of subs no matter which way you slice it, play it safe, for both the speakers and your hearing.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jpranwez 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I appreciate everybody's help. I decided since I have to build a custom box anyway I'm going to get two more aw1000q  tens and run parallel/series for two ohms. I think 1000 watts will be enough for right now. And don't worry Rob I can't listen to some real loud stuff more than alittle while. Thanks ya'll.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic