icon

2001 Ford Escape/SQ system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
HI all, a few questions, just wondering if anybody can verify that i have 6X8's in the doors? i looked on crutchfied and they said they have not measured this vechile, i have a 2001 escape with the MACH system, they apper to me that they are 6X8's and with out pulling everything now i want to ask first.
Second i'm going for a total SQ system, my sub is going to be the Infinaty cappa 10, my amp will be the SOUNDSTREAM 5 channel davanchi and i'm not sure about the 6X8's, will probally be infinaty also.
Any help owuld be good thanks, also if you have any suggestion on a SQ system let me know?
Thanks,
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Sure dude, have a look at an Eclipse head unit, Diamond, Morel and MB Quart for speakers. Even though the door speakers may be a 5x7", you should be able to squeeze in a pair of 6.5" components, that is direction that an SQ system should head in.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
chucksnee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe i was wrong in saying 6X8's they may be 5X7's, totally unsure, and that is why i was asking about the speake size!
The truck has a tweeter in the door post, so should i look for a componet system or 3 way? I understand about geting a 6.5, but what if it does not fit? and i will not cut this door to make it fit, if it will then i will get a componet system.
Thanks for the help forbidden, but i would like more info (more opinions) if i have not explained myself thenplease le tme now!!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

A 5X7 is the same as a 6X8.  But yeah, I agree with Rob, 6.5's for SQ.  You just can't get the same sound reproduction out of 5X7's.  Components would definitely be the way to go.  If you can get them to fit in the doors, then yes, I'd just put the tweeter where the factory one was.  If you think fitment maybe an issue (a good possibility with deep angled baskets/large magnets found in quality speakers), you maybe able to construct some kickpanel enclosures, and you can put the tweeters there as well.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Even though the spkeaker mounting size may be a 5x7" it is very easy to fit in component speakers, mount the tweeter in the location you have found, mount the crossover inside the vehicle, not the door, and you may have to make a mounting plate for the mid in the door. If you do this, you must cover the entire area that the 5x7" speaker was mounted to, this will provide you with a good strong mounting point for a 5.25" or 6.5" midbass driver. Make sure you resin the mounting plate (doors get wet, plates don't like water) and add sound deadening material like Brown Bread to the inner door skins. This will point you in the right direction.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Speakers Specs
Size:5x7 '' Speaker5x7 '' Speaker
Depth3.5''3''

For your headunit I would defiantly go for an Eclipse http://www.eclipse-web.com their headunits give you unparallel sound quality. For your mids and highs my first choice would be MB Quart, and Focal. I would also look at Eclipse and Diamond Audio as well. I would also suggest that you go with 6.5’s. As far as amps go if you’re looking for a good sq I would suggest Diamond Audio as my first choice or Eclipse. For the lows look at MB Quart or Focal and if you want SQ that will bump hard look at the Eclipse Aluminums.

chucksnee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
O.k. everybody is saying 6.5's and i'm will do that but can anybody tell me if they will fit without cutting the door?
I'll let everybody know what i'm going to go with i the next day or so!!
forbidden 
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

You will need to make a mounting adaptor, thus this adds a little space for a larger driver, if you center the midbass driver on this adaptor, you may be a ble to squeeze in a oversize 6.5" mid. Take your 5x7" out, turn it upside down on a piece of 1/4" cardboard and trace the outline of the speaker onto it as well as the speaker mounting holes, cut out the shape. This is your template for whatever speaker you may want to fit it. Find yourself a set of speakers that you like and trace the mounting cutout of the mid onto the center of this template and cut out the center. Test fit the mid. Test mount the cardboard template onto the door, you may have to cut a little metal depending on the speakers, this is an easy task to do, trace it out with a black felt pen.

Now by the sounds of things this is a lease vehicle, If you are only cutting out slivers of metal, which I expect is what you may have to do to get the sound you want, there is nothing wrong with this. As long as the factory speaker can still mount (and it should easily), the door panel is not cut up, the chances are that the dealer will never ever look behind the door panel for cut metal, it  is just not worth their time. Once you have a good fit on the template, trace it out onto mdf (resin & paint black the mdf when complete). You should be on the way for decent sound.

For an idea on what an oversize 6.5" mid is, have a look at any MB Quart component speaker compared most mid fi guys like Pioneer or Kenwood, you'll see a drastic size difference.

chucksnee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Great, i do not really want to cut but if it will be just a sliver then i will not mind, i just did not want to cut alot out, but the template is a good idea.
No it is not a lease, i borrowed from myself (401K) and paid cash for the truck (literal) anyway just don't want to harm the truck in that way (cutting metal).
Still have not decided yet what i want, speakers almost, but the amps are getting to me, i have read alot about the amps suggested (diamond audio) but what about soundstream? i have had there amp and loved it the refrence 405 and it beat the hell out of everthing? have not heard alot about them on this forum? I'm not doubting anybodys opinion, but what about soundstream?
forbidden 
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I like Soundstream and use it myself. The Reference 405 was my favorite amp, used it to power my system in the MR2 originally. Now Soundstream has been bought out my a huge Korean company, they now basically have two differnt tiers in the company, the offshore price point equipment and the new US built Soundstream gear, the latter is what to look at.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic