icon

What is Resonance?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone please give me an idiot's definition of resonance?  Please, try top write it at a third grade level, because not matter how many times I read this word in various contexts, I can't figure out what the hell it means exactly.  I've even looked up the definition on dictionary.com and I just don't get it.  Thanks.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hit something and the vibrations make noise.  kinda like that.

Resonance is bad. Thats why we get sound deadener.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Take a bell and ring it, the ringing that you hear is resonation. When you put a stereo in a vehicle, think of the vehicle as a bell, when the stereo is played loud, you notice that you can "feel the bass", this pressure wave that you are feeling is also causing the vehicle (the bell) to ring (resonate). When a vehicle is resonating from all of this bass pressure, here is something that can happen.

There is laws of physics and for sure this is one of Newtons' lasw, maybe the 3rd.

If you have a loud stereo and it is causing the vehicle to resonate, you are losing energy. The energy that is being produced in the form of sound is now being transformed into energy that causes the car to resonate, this is a prime reason as to why you should sound deaden a car, and why a car sounds better when it is sound deadened. If you can keep the car from resonating, you are also keeping much more energy in the form of sound. Hope this puts you on the right track.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
damn forbidden, you took the words right out of my mouth! haha
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Also, in a loudspeaker the free-air resonant frequency, or Fs, is the frequency at which the system (cone, spider, VC) tends to naturally mechanically vibrate without electrical input.  This will generally be the most efficient frequency of the loudspeaker and can be changed (usually upwards) slightly through enclosure design.

Also, the concept of resonance applies to RF circuit designs and oscillators, but I think that is beyond what you're asking.

Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Idiot's version: the resonant frequency is the frequency that the object (namely a speaker) is "happiest" at.
son_of_a_gun 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Very good and insightful tips, guys!

(the resonant frequency is the frequency that the object (namely a speaker) is "happiest" at.)

Glad I found this forum. Keep up the Good Samaritan attitude!

Later...

moody 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Musicians viewpoint...
Natural resonance is the frequency that a speaker cabinet for example will reinforce. A room that is naturally resonant at a specific pitch will cause feedback problems which have to be countered somehow (usually with eq).
Musically instruments are usually naturally resonant at a variety of pitches (if they are good) and this will give them their individual character.
Another example is if you sing a particular pitch loudly near a guitar, any string tuned to that same pitch will start to vibrate and will continue vibrating after you have stopped.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
"Can someone please give me an idiot's definition of resonance?"
Every object has a certain frequency that it wants to vibrate or resonate at. Think of an earthquake..The frequency of the earthquake matches the natural resonance of the buildings (cement etc - very low frequency) and the buildings just want to shake themselves apart.
You could take a sub and put it in your car WITHOUT hooking it up. Everytime the stereo matched a frequency in the range of the sub that sub would move and have some output (although very little).
Have problems with your trunk rattling? That's not because you have soo much power it's because that is the sweet spot and your system is matching the frequency that those panels want to naturally resonate at. Adding dynomat to those panels is helping to diminish the frequency that they want to vibrate at thus making less vibrations and less wasted power..
Hope it helps,
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic