icon

box help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rbbrink 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
I installed my subs and amp in my truck and they sound like sh!#!!  I had them installed in my previous car and it rocked. The only  part I changed was the box, it has slightly less air space than the other one. Is there any way to "trick" the speakers into thinking the box is bigger?  I really don't have room to make the box bigger, and it's the only one I could find to fit.  The speakers are 10" Fosgate HE 4 ohm singles and the amp is a Fosgate 501s the truck is '04 GMC Crewcab.
killerc 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
pack the boxes with poly fill aka pillow stuffing, wal mart $2 a bag this will "trick" the speakers and will help a little or get a set of down fire boxes made for that vehicle
it's a westbank thang
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure the subs are in phase!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
yeah if u have one sub in phase and one sub out of phase...it will cancel out all the bass.  check that first, and if they are in phase, use the pillow stuffing
rbbrink 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
  Is there any  way to check phasing w/ a DVOM or some other type of meter?  I have the amp hooked up to an  LOC that is signaled by the two sets of wires going to the factory sub.  I'm unsure which one ares + and - so I've been playing w/ it, but it sounds the same to me.  The box I have is a down fire one, it's from subbox.net.  Are there any other ones made for my truck , this the only prefab one I was able to locate for two 10"s?  I really don't have the cash for a custom one, and don't have the skills to make one out of  'glass.  How tightly should I stuff the stuffing in the box?    
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Go to www.crutcfield.com and enter your vehicle in their vehicle selector (click on what fits my car). It should tell you if any custom boxes fit your truck or car. Try hooking up a speaker level to line level converter to your factory wiring harness' front or back left and right negative and positve channels and running an RCA cable to your amp from their instead of using your factory subs signal. If you tell me what make, year ,model ,and any features concerning the radio(if you have a factory satelite radio tuner or on-star ,or premium factory radio) I can check for you.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
for the dakron (pillow stuffing) get some really thick stuff. then glue it to all the sides inside of the box. i heard your supposed to do 75% of the box. but really how can you tell if your actually doing 75% of it.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would re check the wiring in your box to each sub...make sure you dont have something backwards there.    try powering one sub first and see how it sounds
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
rbbrink 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Custumsuburb

I was going to hook it all up to the rear speaker lines, but I have the Bose system and I read that the front and rear speakers are set up with a  crossover in the factory amp so there is no strong bass signal to use.  I was told by a local chain that the factory sub is dual voice coil and I would get the best signal from there, he just couldn't remember off hand (I spoke to him over the phone ) what ones were + and - . The system in my truck is the up graded SLE Bose package, it's the 7 speaker incl. sub. and rear tuner/headphone option.  I don't have XM or On-star.

Ive stuffed the box and played w/ the phasing more, it seems a little better , might be all I can get?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_CG13931736.htm this link takes you to a site that sells a preamp out adaptor for connecting to a GM with a bose system. It says it gives you a full range signal which should be perfect for you. Hope it helps.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic