Window tinting remover?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everybody,

One of my friends has a car that her grandpa gave her... 97 Honda Civic coupe, and she is enlisting my help in order to pimp it out.  She wants to replace the window tint.  The previous owner had put in the do it yourself tint, and now it's peeling.  She wants to take it all off and then get it professionally tinted.  I told her the windows on the driver and passenger side windows, which haven't begun peeling yet, but are already starting to bubble, can be removed with a chemical.  I saw it in a Shucks catalog, I _THINK_, but I could have been completely mistaken.  Does such a chemical exist?  And if so, where can I pick it up, and whats it called?  Cost?  If not, does anybody have any idea for taking off the tint?  Thanks guys.  You are always so good about helpin people out =)

--mindctrl

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Using a heat gun and a razor blade is the *Shade Tree Mech* way. That amounts to sweat equity for you, or her.
Applying the amonia based products works very well, but proper ventalation and eye & hand protection is paramount in its use.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
rbbrink 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
spray the inside of the windows with windex (leave it wet)and stick black plactic trash bags to them.  Let the car bake in the sun for a while, the ammonia in the windex will brake down the adhesive and allow you to just peel it all off.  Use caution when scrapping if you must ,the rear window defroster is very delicate. Scrapping across them will brake the curcuit making that part inop. 
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
First, you might check with the tint shop and see if it's any extra if they strip the windows- it's likely they may not.  I just got my windows retinted.  The place I worked at had a tint shop next door, so they cut me a good deal.  What they did was heat the windows up with a heat gun, and work an edge loose with a razor blade.  As it heats up, you can pull it loose.  Once you get all the tint off, spray a water/baby shampoo solution on the windows, and scrape off the adhesive with a razor blade.  On the back window, use a scouring pad (they used the metal type- bronze) with the solution.  This'll keep you from ruining your rear defroster.
lncmarkviii 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

forget all that spray 409 on the windows and then place black garbage bag for 45-1hr and thats it  .no ammonia smell  :)                       ryan paltrow 15 years in da biz good luck

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
one thing tinters hate is when people try to remove the tint and only peel the film off and leave all the adhesive, it makes it much more of a pain. If you really want to remove it all try the ammonia trash bag idea, or use a steamer... or let the professional do it... see tintdude.com
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you very much for the help guys - problem solved!

--mindctrl

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic