icon

Another pushbutton starter relay question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrnvgtr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

I posted questions for help on wiring my pushbutton starter, power toggle switch, and three relays.  I just recently rewired it because something failed and couldn't figure out what it was.  Now it kind of works, but not how it originally did.  The diagram is below.  It worked by first turning the On/Off Toggle Switch to ON.  This provides accessory power to the car.  Then push the push button to start the car.  It worked fine for 6 months.  Now it is re-wired and I can't figure something out.  It starts immediately when the I turn the On/Off Toggle Switch to On.  I'm really concerned about what this is doing to the electrical system.  Any help figuring out what connection is incorrectly placed would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, I'm not a wiring expert, so something really obvious could be the cause.

Another pushbutton starter relay question - Last Post -- posted image.

hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
OK- I have to make a few assumptions here. First, you own a BMW. Second, the original ignition switch was causing heartburn. Third, when you made your relay connections, you cut the wire to the switch and completely bypassed it rather than actually tapping from the switch. I'm looking at your diagram, and from what I see it should work. Try disconnecting the ground button wire from the starter relay, then flip on your acc/ign
button. You say you rewired your work- what did you do different from your diagram? The only thing I can think is your acc/ign switch has somehow shorted to the start switch between the relays and ground. I would also be checking for a relay that's fried shut. Just do a continuity test across 30 and 87 with everything off. You should see infinity. Your "constant 12 volts" is a battery feed? One more thing- your ignition and accessory relays are large enough to handle the current requirements for the car? I would be using at a minimum
Bosch or Hella 30/40A relays. Bosch 70A is even better.
mrnvgtr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

I see I left a few pieces of info out of the original post.  My car is a BMW MZ3 Coupe.  The original ignition switch was fine.  I just decided one day that I wanted a different way to start up my car.  Yes, I cut the wire to the ignition switch and completely bypassed it.  I also cut the wire for the accessories.  I only spliced into the wire for the starter.  This diagram does work.  The original setup did fine for 6 months.  There was probably a bad connection somewhere because it was my first wiring project ever, and a sloppy one at that.  Since I couldn't figure out what wasn't right, I just re-wired the whole thing because I knew I could do it better with the right connectors and such.  I didn't do anything different from the diagram the second time around, that I know of.  That's part of my question.  For those of you who can make sense of this wiring diagram, is there something that it looks like I did wrong, like wiring the wrong relay to the accessory/ignition/starter wires.  It seems like I'm sending power straight to the ignition.  Maybe I should check the wiring from the toggle switch to the Accessory relay pin 85.  Unfortunately this stuff is not easy to reach.  It was easier for me to re-wire the whole thing last time then to continue troubleshooting each connection, or course, due to my nonexistant wiring knowledge.  The only relay I could imagin being fried shut would be the Accessory.  Is this assumption correct?  I wish I had a voltage tester to do what you were talking about.  I guess I'll have to go get one if that's the only way to figure out my problem.  The "constant 12 volts" is the battery feed.

I'll try to recheck some of the wiring I can reach without taking apart the console and dash again and report back if I find anything.  In the mean time, here is what the final result looks like, so you can understand what switches I'm using.  The silver toggle switch turns on the power.  I can even watch the voltage rise on the voltmeter and then push the black start button to the left of the toggle switch to start the car.

Another pushbutton starter relay question - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic