icon

1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
goldfinger 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1997 Grand Am with the stock tape deck and speakers. 1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.  I'm looking to replace the tape deck with a MP3 player and possibly replacing all the speakers with something a little better.

Do I have to do anything special like re-locate the stock deck?  Or is that only on new model GM's?

Does anyone have a clue what the RMS rating for the stock speakers would be?  I'm afraid the aftermarket deck will blow them in no time.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Your OEM tape deck puts out about 4 watts RMS.  If you are replacing it, I suggest you also need to replace your stock speakers. Also be sure to get the appropriate wiring harness connector for your car, and you may need a dash kit as well.  Check the Metra guides in this site (navigation link on the left frame.)
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
No I don't think you need the relocation kit (Class II wiring wasn't until 98). You would just need a GM dash kit and wire harness adapter. As far as the speakers, they probably will be around 25 watts max and around 10-15 rms. The deck will probably not blow them (unless you have the vloume and bass cranked all the way up) But it won't sound all that clear. Your bass response will definetly go up and your lows will sound deeper but they'll still sound muffled. It's best to change them out as well. You'll be much happier that way. Good luck.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.
goldfinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent info, thank you.

The deck I'm looking at is a JVC KD-S890 (4x50 peak, 4x19 RMS) and maybe some 2-way Pioneer 4x6's to fit in the door and 3-way Pioneer 6x9's to fit in the back so they'll be easy to install.  The head unit should be sufficient to power the 4x6's, right?  Would I need an AMP to power the rear 6x9's ?  They list "recommended RMS power 60 watts" and peak 220.  Would they sound OK at 19RMS?

Sorry for all the questions.... I'm completely new to this.  I don't want to raise the roof or be heard coming down the road...... I just want something clearer and a little more bass than what I have right now.

Got the kit and wiring harnesses all taken care of. 1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Your HU will power your speakers just fine for general listening.  It is just my opinon, but I don't like the sound of Pioneer speakers.  Be sure to listen to some choices before you decide and get whatever sounds the best to you within your price range, though.  For general commercial level speakers, I prefer Infinity over Pioneer or Kenwood or Sony.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Dyohn. In my opinion, to get Pioneers to sound right you'll have to run them through a really good amp. Infinity is a very good choice. And you can find a good set on ebay at a discounted price.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Check out some Boston speakers. They have a really good clear sound I think. And they're reasonably priced.1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.

goldfinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the comments guys.  Anyone wanna take a stab at how long this will take me?  I've never installed one before, so this will be completely new to me.

Also, will the aftermarket speakers just hook up to the wiring I already have?  Or will I need to do some work?

I'd love to go somewhere and listen before I buy, but unfortunatly the only thing within 100+ miles of here is a Wal-Mart. 1997 Grand Am Head Unit/Speakers -- posted image.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Your aftermarket speakers just hook up to the wiring you already have. Try www.crutchfield.com . They sell a ton of car audio video stuff and give you free instructions ,wiring harnesses ,speaker adator plates ,etc. They also let you try them out in your car for 30 days I think.

goldfinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Any comments on whether or not I should use the same brand speakers front and back?  IE Boston 4x6's for the doors and Infinity 6x9's in the back?  Any disadvantages to not going with the same brand for both front and back?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic