icon

do subs need to face the same distance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

right now im working on an enclosure for my car and i guess in order to fit all four of my 15's in the trunk i have to have two in the middle facing the back and one on each side facingthe same way as the other two but closer to the back by about 2 to 4 inches. does it matter and will i lose db that way .....i hope not because that might be the only option........i need to know asap because if not im just gonna get 2 kickers solo barbic l7's with an enclosure........i still prefer the four 15's by the the way they are audiobahns and the amp is an audiobahn 2000 watt at 1 ohms

goingcrazyonsound
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
You will be fine.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
are you sure because i have been going thru all my old car audio magazines and i cant find an enclosure that even looks like what im doing they all look like the subs are equal
goingcrazyonsound
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
This is mainly due to the fact that these magazines that you look at have systems that must have clean asthetics, thus even lines for boxes. I have seen numerous systems that the boxes had to be re-worked to solve the issue that you are talking about, the owner wanted a cleaner look to his box. Have you already purchased these subs and if so why 15's, bigger is not necessarily better! What is the vehicle they are going in and are you after something that sounds good or sounds good and loud or just plain loud and who cares how it sounds. This will tell us all what path to send you down for your subs and box.
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
i already bought the subs and im currently working on the enclosure. they are going in an 70 buick skylark droptop. i already upgraded the wires added an 1 fared cap and added an 150 amp alt.
goingcrazyonsound
forbidden 
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
On my way home, I'll have to get back to you later, maybe Bberman or Dyohn will spark up some info for you.
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

You really dont need to go that big.  You could get 4 12" subs and that will give you almost the same effect as the 4 15s.  With the 12s, they will fit alot better in your trunk.  Your car should have plenty of trunk space.  You could almost make a box that goes right down the middle of the trunk with two subs on each side pointing towards the sides of the trunk.  I am not quite sure where I saw this, but it looked real good. 

1 plus 1 equals 2
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

If I understand your installation plan, I agree with forbidden you will be fine. 

What you are proposing is really not that unusual.  The only thing to watch out for is acoustic cancellation from one sub to another.  By this I mean that it is possible for the sound waves (air pressure) being produced by one sub to reflect off the car and cancel the sound waves being produced by another sub.  You might notice this as a lower than expected SPL or a muddy sound at certain frequencies.

After you get your enclosure built and installed, post a picture.  If you have an SPL meter I can help you figure out if wave cancellation is occuring, if you think it is.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic