icon

sub amp match

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lovelolamom 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Kenwood 729s amp-rms output 300x1 in bridged mode. I want to buy a 12 inch woofer to go in my boat (21 foot bayliner runabout) in a sealed enclosure under a bulkhead. A sealed enclosure because size of the box is an issue. I'm thinking of an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 svc. All my component speakers are Kappa series. 1 pair 6x9, 1 pair 6 1/2 also running off a 729s. I want it to hit hard (rock/rap) and sound good. Is this a good match? Any other speaker choices?
smork
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Kappa Perfect 12.1 in a 1 cuft sealed enclosure right now in my car and it is a great sounding speaker.  300 watts will make it sing nicely (although I'm not sure how it sounds with the synthesized low bass used in most rap recordings.)
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it should be fine, but take note of how many ohms the sub is and how many ohms the amp is bridged at so you don't blow the amp.  But yes it should sound nicely.  Hope that helps...
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Another sub that works in a real small sealed enclosure and sounds amazing is the Lightning Audio S3.12.4. This sub handles 300w rms @ 4 ohms, works in sealed enclosures only, belts out deep bass with authority and has very good sq. I have not seen too many people recommending Lightning Audio on the site before, but you should have a look into it, they are much cheaper than a Perfect 12.1 and we sell quite a few of them when up against the same sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
DEFINITELY consider a Boston Competitor 1200 (12") or Competitor 1000 (10"). They perfrom extremely well in a small enclosure. My friend had one 10" in a sealed enclosure in his Yukon XL and i swear it sound like 3 12s even from across the parking lot !!!!!! I think you should get one of these. Ohh yeah and he had it running of a 200 watt alpine amp that was only like 150 dollars. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=125&CategoryID=17 heres the 10" link http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=126&CategoryID=17    Tell me if you buy i wanna hear how you think they sound!
lovelolamom 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone else have and info or experiences with Boston Acoustic? I found a pro series ( the next step up from the competitor series) and can get a pretty good deal.

smork
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Just go with the Boston's. They only come in svc but this would be fine for your amp because you will probobly only have one sub. Your amp should be perfect for this sub also. Hope you decide on going with Bostonsub amp match -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic