92 Camaro Passlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BrettG 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I have a 92 Camaro RS. I installed a Hornet 1500 ESP alarm and remote starter and everything works with it except the bypass module. I can remote start it w/ the key in the ignition but can't w/o it. Anyways I went out and bought the Directed 555L module for GM Passlock 1 & 2 from a local dealer. After getting back home and trying to install it I am lost finding the right wires to splice into! I found 2 green and a lt. brown w/ a white stripe with all the wires from the ignition. After getting few up with trying to test for the ohms on the key and the meter jumping all over I cut the wires and the car still started making them not the wires I am looking for. I found a red and orange wire in the fuse box for VATS and the car would not start w/o the fuse.... I am pretty sure these are the wires I need but which do I cut and which do I just splice into?? If these are not the wires I need PLEASE tell me ASAP! I am disparate!!
Thanks,
Brett
tblanning 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

look for either an orange coated wire or black coming from ing that has 2 small wires in it

also i do not use the unit you are talking about ( Directed 555L module for GM Passlock 1 & 2 from a local dealer.) but does that also state it is for vats also? i searched and it says passlock 1 & 2  i think you need a different module

tblanning 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

i think you might need this one DEI 652T 

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/652T.html

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

the 1992 camero has VATS.  it wont use a 555L.  you need to measure the resistance on the resistor in the key, the little pellet.  then you parallel/series  (or buy an exact value) different reistors to match that.  now, you can either solder that across the two vats wires after you cut them (car side), or build a relay setup that maintains the VATS integrity and allows for remote start.  if you just put the resistor across the vats wires, you could be in trouble if that ever comes undone, the car wont start with the key or remote (the wires arent getting either code).

put a search in this site for vats and theres probably 30 pictures of what to do with it.  just make the relay setup with the resistor.

the 652t will work but you can make one faster than it can ship to you.  th vats wires will be in an orange or black rubbery tube thing that looks like it is heat shrank to the two vats wires in it.  they are very very tiny gauge.

BrettG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
I found 2 light guage wires coming from ignition in a coating but it says that they are for the air bag and not to probe them.... thats all I see that is in a coating and have looked for 2 hours total....
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

if you have a digital camera, take a pic and email it to me.

look at it this was tho, it has to be coming from the key cyl right?  look at every wire  that branches out of that and stare at it for a few seconds and decide if that is a normal wire.  when you get to one that looks like an orange or black heat shrank tube with two tiny little twists in it... thats vats.  it wont be in a fuse block or in some random harness.  it goes straight from the key to the vats module (somewhere behind the glove box in some cars).  anyway... its there.  just go one wire at a time from the steering wheel area.  it may not be in the main harness, but up above it or to the side ect...

BrettG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
hi,
I took a pic. of what I found and i'm pretty sure these are it the PURPLE / black and the WHITE/ black... I only have one other question... at 20k on my miltimeter I read the following:
.68 ohm from the key
13.78 from the while/black wire
10.80 from the PURPLE / white wire
which is the proper resistance value, as I am getting ready to go to Radio Shack and pick up another relay and the resistor I need...??
Thanks,
Brett
Pic. of the 2 wires I found that "SAY" they are to the air bag...
http://members.aol.com/GUSHANAS/Wires.jpg
tblanning 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

use the onage wire right next to what you are holing it has a black connector with 2 white wires on 1 side and purple and white coming out the other

you need to use the resistance of the chip on the key put your leads on each side of the chip in the metal middle

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Your resistor value should be 680 ohms if I am reading your measurements correctly. To be sure place the probes for your meter on either side of the key's pellet and measure the resistence. 680 ohms is one of the 15 VATS key values.
sparky
BrettG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot it was 680! It starts up like it should!! Thanks a lot for all the help everyone!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic