icon

94 accord ex ignition switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

well my ignition switch has failed. Firstly can i fix it? The "on" position is what failed.

if not..what would a replacement run and where would i get it..also..can i use the same key.

or do they fix the inside and say they put a new one in. im  DIY'er, i hate having people mess with my car.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with my 95 honda accord and yes you can fix it if you have the correct tools. The replacement part if I remember correctly was between 60-70 dollars at the local honda dealer. You will have to drop the bottom and top half of the steering colum cover where the ignition switch is at. Disconnect the battery as well and if you still have the factory head unit that requires a code make sure that you have that before you disconnect the battery or else the radio will not work if you have an after market radio forget what I said. As you have these parts taken off you will find 2 round headed bolts that hold the switch in. What I did was use a mini hand saw and cut a line into the bolt making it into a flat head screw. Then I was able to use a flat head screw driver to take them off. Other than that you will have to disconnect a couple of connectors within that switch as well as the two philip head screws behind the ignition switch. Replacement is the reverse. The only time comsuming part is the filing of the top bolts. You can replace them after you get them out of you like. I left mine in as I filed them perfect for the flat head. I hope this helps.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

I like that tip for removing the screws.  If you have enough room, you may be able to just use a hammer and chisel to break them free.  Then you could remove them by hand, and simply replace them with regular philips or flathead screws.  I've had to use the saw method before as well (fixing a gun- what a pain), but sometimes you have no choice.  That's what I got for not having the right equipment.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

What fun to work on, just got 8-10 inched of snow and its cold

i take it you didnt have the correct tools?

They need the switch when you get the other one?

I suppose the major cost is the keying and keys...i dunno. It is keyed to what was in it right?

Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

ok..calling up honda dealer. he said there were two things i could get. A whole new assembly with keys and electronic part for 152

or the electronic part, which he think is what is wrong, for 44$

What did you replace? everything or just the electronic part? and is this electronic part inside something that'll be a bitch to get to?

Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
well i got it out today.  Took awhile to get out, but i had a snow day again..so i used the time.
geepherder 
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
That's good to hear.  Let us know how it turns out, and what all was involved.
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

From what i have found out Accords have this problem.  The high current simply destorys the switch.

Sound Pressure was on the money about everything,  but he left out one important thing, coming from chilton book, that you are supposed disconnect the srs air bag system, and put in the short plug, this ensures it will not go off. 

Parents picked up the part tonight after work since they are in the area looks like the parts guy got them to buy those breakaway bolts...1.50 a piece!

total bill 54.43

geepherder 
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Well good, I'm glad you got it figured out.  Since you've got it apart anyway, why not use a relay to prevent this from happening again later on?  A buddy I worked with said his Accord was hard to start occasionally (older though, probably late 80's).  He did some research online and saw that a poor solder joint was a common problem.  I don't remember what component, or anything, but he used my soldering iron, and it started much better after that.

Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

I havent had that problem. I do know i should replace the distro rotor and cap, they where pretty corroded, and the plug wires.

only hard starts i have had is when its really cold out...its been like high of 10 lately.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic