icon

more power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vince2004 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

I own an 88 honda prelude and am in the process of installing a monster stereo. The problem is lack of power for the amplifiers. I am researching possible alternators for the task but, have yet to find one with a warranty for less than 700 dollars. I know that sounds crazy but, I need at least 150amps just to make sure that I have enough. i live in austin,tx and there is only one shop that I have found that will install a h.o. alternator for me for 700 dollars (even though I am more then capable). I would like to have other options. Any help would be appreciated.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
I would suggest that you call around and get some prices from these guys,
Dominick 615-287-7991, Michiana Rebuilders 1-800-627-4812,
 C.S.A 1-334-712-9955 or 1-334-791-6272, http://www.mechman.com/home.html
http://www.wranglernw.com
http://www.mralternator.com
http://www.alternatorparts.com
http://www.mean-green.com
vince2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks alot for the info, I have contacted all and will post when I get a reply.

also plan on posting some pics of the car as soon as I start the install.more power -- posted image.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
also try ohio gererators,   see if they can send to a local car audio or car repair shop near you they probally will, and in my mind they make some of the best aftermarket alterernators
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
COME ON ,WHAT about Stinger. I think they make some excellent stuff including batterys and alternators.
vince2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have not heard of ohio generators but, feel like an idiot for not remembering stinger. The ohio generator site is down. I am hopeful about the stinger thing.
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

Vince,

I would highly recommend John at Special-T-Auto for any cars alternator needs. He can build you a custom monster alternator or re-wind your stock alternator to give you about 150 amps. The price is about $250. Powder coating for the case is available too, but it does retain a little more heat. He is in Forney/Dallas Tx. The rewound stocker will hook back up to your electrical system exactly the same way you removed it. I recommended him to a friend who bought one for his Dodge pickup and he's been poundin' away for about 2 years now with no problems. He has 2 1200.1 kicker amps, a 600.4, 2 JL7 12's, and a video system. 

I personally followed a tip one of my Benz-Buddies who installed a 150 amp stock alternator from a 02 500S-class with great results. We both ran 0ga through our cars and also use 0ga to bring the juice from the alternator to the battery. This can be done with a power distribution block or T. WOW!! What a difference versus 70amp stocker. I now have 14.2 volts at idle, system pounding and all electrical accessories on. 14.4 over 2200rpm. The full details are available on Daves webpages in the 124 stereo folder.

http://www.meimann.com/images/mercedes/

This setup feeds my power hungry kx-1200.1 which was hand picked for me because the birth certificate says it produced 1650 watts at 13v at 1ohm. The same at 14.4v.  I will eventually have 2 1200.1's running 2 JL7 or Brahma's. I am currently using 3 8000 series MTX 10" subs run parallel for 1.33 ohms. I am very pleased but have been pounding these MTX's for about 2 years now. I am ready for some new subs even though the average person would probably die for the earthquake that happens in my car when I crank it up. But I highly doubt they will ever blow. I call them "Workin'-Class-Subs" They are definitely not junk.  I've heard that Fosgate and MTX is the same company and has been since the days of the blue-thunder subs. I don't know if this is true.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Angel

boom, boom, boom boom....
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

The stinger alternators are only available from a stinger dealer and they won't sell it to you unless you are having it installed. They are great alternators though!

Angel

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Tom at Ohio Generator build some good alternators, I had him send me a second one for my F350 a couple of years back, hehe 330amps on tap when I need it and no custom fabrication, just bolted in on, changed the belt and good to go.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
MBZ oe 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

I've heard nothing but great things about Ohio Generator as well. Everyone recommends them.

Angel 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic